NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLASH '20 R1 BETA SPREADSHEET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLASH '20 R1 BETA SPREADSHEET
    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:54am
Set up a beta spreadsheet if folks want to use that Smile Best of luck to everyone!

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 12:33pm
Thanks for this!
dayumjam View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayumjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:57pm
Hoping people will see my question here... This is my first FF contest. Holy moly I'm excited. I was assigned suspense/daycare center/blueberry muffin

I was curious... If I make the daycare center in a house, like an in-home daycare, do you think that'll matter? 
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by dayumjam dayumjam wrote:

Hoping people will see my question here... This is my first FF contest. Holy moly I'm excited. I was assigned suspense/daycare center/blueberry muffin

I was curious... If I make the daycare center in a house, like an in-home daycare, do you think that'll matter? 

As long as you make it clear that it's a daycare, then I think you'll be fine Smile My impression is that they generally give a little bit of leeway in interpreting the specifics of the prompts (like a standalone daycare center vs. an in-home one).

Welcome to the wonderful world of flash, and good luck!!
dayumjam View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayumjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by kolohe kolohe wrote:

Originally posted by dayumjam dayumjam wrote:

As long as you make it clear that it's a daycare, then I think you'll be fine Smile My impression is that they generally give a little bit of leeway in interpreting the specifics of the prompts (like a standalone daycare center vs. an in-home one).

Welcome to the wonderful world of flash, and good luck!!

THANK YOU soooo much!!!! <3
alphameg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphameg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:22pm
How does the Beta reading work in the next 24 hours? Please help a newbie out! 
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by alphameg alphameg wrote:

How does the Beta reading work in the next 24 hours? Please help a newbie out! 

Check out the spreadsheet linked above and add your details, specifying whether you are "open" and accepting beta read requests or "closed". In my experience most people like to do swaps where you review their story in exchange but its up to you. 

From there you can contact anyone on the sheet who's open (just check they're not in your group / are interested in your assigned genre) and shoot them an email asking if they'd mind beta reading your story. If they are, great! Send it through, they give you tips, etc etc.

(Just FYI - usually we do beta reading entirely by email/google doc - do NOT post your story on the forums or anywhere else until NYC has sent out the SECOND round of emails after submission giving everyone permission to post).

Hope that helps! :)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
alphameg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphameg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:36pm
Thank you! 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:59pm
I usually send a pdf of my story with the inquiry so that it saves 
time of gong back and forth. That way if they are willing they have 
the story and can send theirs before starting on yours. If they don't 
want to, no harm done.
agalvez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agalvez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:02pm
thanks so much! i just signed up (even tho it's a bit late :S) I'll be working/writing all day so just shoot me an email if anyone wants to swap!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>