NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Contests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dayumjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other Contests
    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:23am
I wasn't sure which forum topic to put this into, so I hope this is okay.

NYCmidnight has given me such a gift this year: a reason to write. I love writing but lack the self-discipline to do it without something to push me along. The screenwriting competition and microfiction have gotten me through quarantine so far, and I look forward to writing for the short story contest.

That being said, does anybody know of any other writing competitions similar to NYCmidnight? I feel myself slipping into another bout of depression and would love a distraction.

Thank you so much!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 2:02pm
Well, there's always one going on!! The 250-word will ideally happen again in the fall, and the flash fiction starts in under a week (hurry up and reguster!), and if you enjoy screenwriting too, then that means there are up to... six(?) rotating contests a year going on right here!! Also, have you considered blogging? That always cheers me up!! And I'm geared for NaNoWriMo in November! 

As per other contests, I haven't had any luck anywhere but here. Other people might have some recommendations, though!! 
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 3:04pm
Writersweekly.com has a quarterly short fiction contest.  Only costs $5.00 to enter.  They give you a couple of sentences as a “topic” and your story has to involve or touch on that topic in some way in order to qualify.  It’s always a 24-hr timeframe from the release of the topic until the submission deadline, and the story length varies each contest, although it’s almost always between 700-1200 words.  The contest is limited to 500 writers, so your competition isn’t as mammoth as it is in the NYCM stuff, plus they give cash prizes to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, as well as prizes to 20 more honorable mentions.

Trey
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:50pm
Here is a site that has small contests regularly - some weekly - and they have writer work shops and lots of stuff to keep you involved in writing.

Edited by Suave - 04 Jul 2020 at 10:54pm
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:09am
Furious Fiction is free to enter and there's the 24-hour fiction contest, which is quarterly. Furious is ever first Friday (though the tricky part is it's on Melbourne time so the deadline's something like 15 hours earlier than you think it is if you're in North America.)
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:35am
Just finished up my 2nd story for a Furious  Fiction weekend. It does mimic NYCM in a lot of ways, but is free so thats a bonus. 

Now, because I apparently don't want any down time this month, ill check out the writers weekly thing  >.>
deank View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:39am
Furious Fiction – free to enter, chance to win $500AUD every month, open to anyone on the planet.
Downside: There's no forum or feedback (but it's free!). 
Upside: It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is all about challenging you to write something. You find out who wins only 2.5 weeks after the weekend and then have another chance to try with new criteria the next month. 
It's been going since start of 2018 – you can read all the past winners and prompts and they provide a short critique on those which can be a good learning tool.
Just google it. Lots of fun.
Kay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:51pm

I wrote a story for a Microfiction Challenge based in Ireland. The topic was “Lockdown”. I didn’t win, but I did make the short list. 

Legal Tender

We stand 2m apart, together in the queue. The footballer, the businessman and I; the politician. Up front, a nurse, who, upon hearing the total claps furiously. 

“I’m sorry Miss. Clapping isn’t legal tender. “

“The NHS is broke, now they pay us in applause. “

He says again. 

“I’m sorry. That isn’t legal tender, but thank you for your service. “ 

And his two hands clamp together. 

We all join in. The footballer, the businessman and I. Proud that we can repay some gratitude. We applaud her all the way to the door. Where she leaves, empty-handed. 

Edited by Kay - 06 Jul 2020 at 3:51pm
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
Aw, shoot...the Writers Weekly contest is this weekend, same as NYC Midnight’s Flash Fiction.  24 hours starting Saturday 1pm CT.

I got my 100 word stories done pretty quick, but this is my first time doing FF 1000 words and not sure I should be juggling two stories at once.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 10:24am
The Furious Fiction monthly contest is going on for the next 46 hours or so.  This month’s theme is comedy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>