NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 11:59 Workshop: NYCM Writer's Group Discord Server
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11:59 Workshop: NYCM Writer's Group Discord Server

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodyGS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm
awesome idea! i'm already workshopping a memoir and a sci-fi novel in my main group, so no capacity for book-length projects, but i'm into cheating on those projects with other work. >:)
gunter s.

SSC R1 H69: Bound (Horror)
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 3:33am
Hi there! I just had to say hello because you are NorthernPixels and I am Northernwriter. Hello from Alaska! I actually met my current writing group from someone who did exactly what you did - posted an ad here! I think it’s great that you are doing this and wanted to wish you luck! If I get a chance I will check out the discord chat (though I don’t want to “cheat” on my main group lol.) Best of luck!

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
NorthernPixels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Hi there! I just had to say hello because you are NorthernPixels and I am Northernwriter. Hello from Alaska! I actually met my current writing group from someone who did exactly what you did - posted an ad here! I think it’s great that you are doing this and wanted to wish you luck! If I get a chance I will check out the discord chat (though I don’t want to “cheat” on my main group lol.) Best of luck!

-Alex
Hello from Canada! (though admittedly, I'm in the southern most part of the country). That's totally fair and understandable. I'm glad to hear it worked out for your group, that gives me a lot of hope. :) 
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

Originally posted by Ckingteacher Ckingteacher wrote:

Thank you for doing this! This is really cool. I’ve been looking for a group like this for emotional and creative support as I try to write a novel and then navigate the waters of traditional publishing. Anyone else working on a book?

I wouldn't really say I'm writing a novel just yet... I mean, I've written segments here and there, character sketches and such, but basically it's been incubating for a couple of years and all work towards it is in the very, very rough stages (and happens at intervals because I'm preoccupied with other things). I still have a lot to learn and have been trying to spend my time educating myself about creative writing and sharpening my skills in writing short (or rather very short) fiction for various contests.

How long have you been working on yours? I'm gathering it's your first...? I'd love to hear about your experiences thus far so feel free to reach out in a pm or perhaps we'll meet on this new server

So I had this idea running through my head as a result of NYCM — I was thinking about what I’d write about if I got historical fiction as a genre for one of the challenges. Well, I never got that genre, but the idea kept nagging at me to be written. So I started writing what was in my head, and that became the first two or three chapters. Then I outlined where I wanted it to go. I’m currently on chapter 19 but unhappy with it, so I’m stuck until I have inspiration to rewrite it. Once I get over that hump, I’m so close to being done, because I outlined 23 chapters. I started writing it, I don’t know, end of May, I think.

Edited by Ckingteacher - 19 Jun 2020 at 10:21pm
Bridget View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:10pm

I did my first NYC competition with the 100 word micro-fiction and found the same as you with the quality of writing and peer feedback - hadn't seen that before in other online groups! So I’m keen to join the Discord group, I’m only doing short fiction though.

Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:04am
I have discord on my new phone. I'll join later. I only have it for family chat with my kids so I'm still new to the app though. 
NorthernPixels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 11:13am
Gonna bump this post for visibility with the upcoming flash review forum. 
mudarcie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudarcie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
Just joined, thanks :)

Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:22pm
Giving a small bump, especially with a finals round coming this weekend :P
dayumjam View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayumjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 12:29am
LOVE this idea. Thank you! <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>