NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 11:59 Workshop: NYCM Writer's Group Discord Server
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11:59 Workshop: NYCM Writer's Group Discord Server

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11:59 Workshop: NYCM Writer's Group Discord Server
    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:50am
Hey everyone.

Over the last couple of years, we've fostered a collaborative writer's community built on the same kind of positivity found here in the NYC Midnight forums. Our intention is to help each other out, irrespective of any competition. We've built up over 300 members and have a thriving, productive community of motivated writers. 

If this seems like something that might interest you, click the link to get started.
https://discord.gg/EE9fyAGcKd 
We'd love it if you'd join us.

Note: 11:59 Workshop is in no way affiliated with NYC Midnight. It is an independent writer's workshop. We just happen to have many members that compete in various competitions such as NYC Midnight and Writer's Battle, but all writing is welcome, contest or no.

If you're unfamiliar with Discord, it's an app designed around building communities. It features real-time chat channels, voice channels and can be used to organize voice/video meetings. It's a tool I've used for work and with friends for years and can be a powerful asset in organizing healthy communities.

Edited by NorthernPixels - 13 Jun 2023 at 6:36pm
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
Thank you for doing this! This is really cool. I’ve been looking for a group like this for emotional and creative support as I try to write a novel and then navigate the waters of traditional publishing. Anyone else working on a book?
NorthernPixels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Ckingteacher Ckingteacher wrote:

Thank you for doing this! This is really cool. I’ve been looking for a group like this for emotional and creative support as I try to write a novel and then navigate the waters of traditional publishing. Anyone else working on a book?
Yes, absolutely. I have been looking for a group for some time as well, so I figured this time I might take the initiative. Hopefully we can wrangle a good handful of people to make it productive. :) 
CathyM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CathyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm
I signed up earlier today and went back to get in and it tells me my password does not work.
Rnd 1 FF Little Dick Rnd2 The Box
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by CathyM CathyM wrote:

I signed up earlier today and went back to get in and it tells me my password does not work.
Hm, that's very strange. Maybe your password got input incorrectly when you signed up somehow? Can always restore that. 
alfdis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:30am
Thanks for doing this. I can't be certain at this point in time of my level of commitment, due to various x factors, but I'm definitely interested and will keep an eye on the server. I would definitely benefit from being part of a more regular writer's circle.
alfdis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Ckingteacher Ckingteacher wrote:

I wouldn't really say I'm writing a novel just yet... I mean, I've written segments here and there, character sketches and such, but basically it's been incubating for a couple of years and all work towards it is in the very, very rough stages (and happens at intervals because I'm preoccupied with other things). I still have a lot to learn and have been trying to spend my time educating myself about creative writing and sharpening my skills in writing short (or rather very short) fiction for various contests.

How long have you been working on yours? I'm gathering it's your first...? I'd love to hear about your experiences thus far so feel free to reach out in a pm or perhaps we'll meet on this new server

Edited by alfdis - 16 Jun 2020 at 11:41am
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernPixels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

Thanks for doing this. I can't be certain at this point in time of my level of commitment, due to various x factors, but I'm definitely interested and will keep an eye on the server. I would definitely benefit from being part of a more regular writer's circle.

Hey that's the point of the Discord server! The idea is that it'll be more of a constant community rather than set meetings. 

Even if you don't think you have the time to contribute on a regular basis, doesn't hurt to join. It's still early yet and we're still finding our footing. 
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:01am
Ive just got into Discord for a reddit group i joined, so might give this a look to see who is there (and hey Toronto! i lived there for a couple of years)

And a Novel - i've written a novel, but not sure if it is any good, the only person that i can confirm read it is my mother. everyone else i gave it to hasnt mentioned it ever again... Disapprove
alfdis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by NorthernPixels NorthernPixels wrote:

Originally posted by alfdis alfdis wrote:

Hey that's the point of the Discord server! The idea is that it'll be more of a constant community rather than set meetings. 

Even if you don't think you have the time to contribute on a regular basis, doesn't hurt to join. It's still early yet and we're still finding our footing. 

Sounds good, I'll check it out. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>