NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formatting question using StudioBinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formatting question using StudioBinder
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 11:53am
Hey guys, this is my first ever attempt at writing a screenplay, so please expect and excuse all dumbdumbness of my question. I am using StudioBinder to write and format my screenplay. However, it automatically inserts these scene (?) numbers. I was wondering if there was a way to delete them as I haven't seen any other screenplays with them.
Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQs9_WMtXAgqjsShzdlMLs2b9FYm-nii/view?usp=sharing
Thank you for any advice.

Edited by deedodd81 - 21 Apr 2020 at 11:53am
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm
I don't know the software you're using, but it should be possible because spec scripts generally don't number scenes--that's for later, when it goes into production.

I'm checking the online help for your software, and it looks like the default is *not* to number scenes.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I don't know the software you're using, but it should be possible because spec scripts generally don't number scenes--that's for later, when it goes into production.

I'm checking the online help for your software, and it looks like the default is *not* to number scenes.

Well, I signed up for an account and I can't see where you can turn these off. It looks like they're just part of the script, because Studio Binder appears to be a production tool and not a pure scriptwriting tool.

Too bad about the scene numbering. The interface is really nice and it's very responsive.
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:04pm

Well, I signed up for an account and I can't see where you can turn these off. It looks like they're just part of the script, because Studio Binder appears to be a production tool and not a pure scriptwriting tool.

Too bad about the scene numbering. The interface is really nice and it's very responsive.
Firstly, THANK YOU so much for taking the time to try to get an answer to my question! I'm glad I wasn't just being a techie dunce (this time).

It IS kinda disappointing because for someone who's trying their hand at the wonderful word of screenplaying, it was quite intuitive. Oh well, better I find out one page in that twelve!

Secondly, is there a software/online site that you WOULD recommend a newbie?

Thanks again for your reponses!

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by deedodd81 deedodd81 wrote:

Firstly, THANK YOU so much for taking the time to try to get an answer to my question! I'm glad I wasn't just being a techie dunce (this time).

It IS kinda disappointing because for someone who's trying their hand at the wonderful word of screenplaying, it was quite intuitive. Oh well, better I find out one page in that twelve!

Secondly, is there a software/online site that you WOULD recommend a newbie?

Thanks again for your reponses!

I don't use these, but I hear good words about Celtx and Writer Duet, both which have free accounts and can hold/output (I think) up to 3 scripts w/o paying for an account. Trelby is also available for free, but I found it a bit difficult to understand. Trelby *rigorously* enforces the rules of scriptwriting--which can be good!--but as a newbie I found it hard to understand why it wouldn't let me have an action tag follow a character tag. (Sure, that's a rule for scriptwriting, and enforcing it kept me from making mistakes, but golly was it hard to figure out why I kept getting errors!)

NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:24pm
For screenwriting, switch over to WriterDuet or Celtx. StudioBinder has too many tools that you simply don't need, and it treats everything like you have funding and are prepping to shoot, which you don't and you're not.

Also, you might want to stick with the "popular three," Celtx, WriterDuet and Final Draft. If you expect to post tech questions for "how to" do something, you won't get any answers if people on here aren't using the same software. I've never even heard of Trelby? So, if you'd posted about that, I'd have completely ignored this question.

Edited by NilesPerry - 21 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:04pm
I used studio binder and kind of just worked around what you're describing by not using the actual new scene feature. So if it tried to insert it with the number, i would use the toolbar at the top to change the designation to general text and that removes the number. You have to manually capitalize the text then, but it worked well enough. If that's not a clear enough description I can screenshot what I did later when I'm not on mobile. 

You'll also probably want to manually add the title page by playing with the spacing before you convert it to pdf (or do what I did and make a word doc title page for easier formatting, save as pdf, then merge with the script pdf). 

Clearly you might be better off with one of the other platforms the pros have recommended (unless you're like me and apparently a glutton for tedious workarounds Confused)

Edited by kolohe - 21 Apr 2020 at 2:05pm
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by kolohe kolohe wrote:

I used studio binder and kind of just worked around what you're describing by not using the actual new scene feature. So if it tried to insert it with the number, i would use the toolbar at the top to change the designation to general text and that removes the number. You have to manually capitalize the text then, but it worked well enough. If that's not a clear enough description I can screenshot what I did later when I'm not on mobile. 

You'll also probably want to manually add the title page by playing with the spacing before you convert it to pdf (or do what I did and make a word doc title page for easier formatting, save as pdf, then merge with the script pdf). 

Clearly you might be better off with one of the other platforms the pros have recommended (unless you're like me and apparently a glutton for tedious workarounds Confused)
That's an awful lot of work. We're writers, not software engineers or technicians...
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

For screenwriting, switch over to WriterDuet or Celtx. StudioBinder has too many tools that you simply don't need, and it treats everything like you have funding and are prepping to shoot, which you don't and you're not.

Also, you might want to stick with the "popular three," Celtx, WriterDuet and Final Draft. If you expect to post tech questions for "how to" do something, you won't get any answers if people on here aren't using the same software. I've never even heard of Trelby? So, if you'd posted about that, I'd have completely ignored this question.
Thanks! I switched over to Celtx which seems to be good for a newbie like me.
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by kolohe kolohe wrote:

Awww I see! Once this challenge is done I may go back and have a play around and use your tactic. I did like the SB interface. Thanks for the tip!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>