NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Last Stretch: How are you doing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last Stretch: How are you doing?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:25am
96 hours have passed
20 hours to go!

This is your corner to vent about your frustration with the prompts, brag about your Oscar-winning idea (but don't share it, yet), report on your progress with the process, or just post a plea for help if you are stuck in the requirements of whatever unfamiliar genre you have been assigned or quirky prompt.

Here's me for starters: I have a “submittable” script that half my betas liked, half didn’t (for those into statistics, the sample size is a total of six betas), and I’m trying to rewrite the whole thing.

How about you? 

Edited by dcontarato - 25 Apr 2020 at 11:05pm
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:26am
I got Ghost AGAIN--it's like EVERY OTHER TIME FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS. I'm SO SICK OF "GHOST." WHY do they ALWAYS give me this genre when...

wait a minute...

I think I have a good idea on how to make this fresh.

Hold on. Diving in to my research and plotting.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:33am
Romantic comedy.  AGAIN.  It's like EVERY OTHER TIME SINCE THE BIG BANG.  I'm so done with it I'm thinking 'Prizzi's Honor' romantic comedy with praying mantis characters (someone's head gets eaten).  I'm debating not bothering to enter anything at all I hate the genera so much and I'm sick of having to write it.

Then again, I have an idea. 

Not sure if it's romantic, probably isn't funny, but if the judges hate then at least I'm not the only one suffering.
This sig intentionally blank
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:33am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I got Ghost AGAIN--it's like EVERY OTHER TIME FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS. I'm SO SICK OF "GHOST." WHY do they ALWAYS give me this genre when...

wait a minute...

I think I have a good idea on how to make this fresh.

Hold on. Diving in to my research and plotting.

This is interesting. I've read several complaints from other users about getting the same genre over and over again. I can't complain, as in 5 challenges so far across forms and lengths I've gotten Action/Adventure - Crime Caper - PolSat (yikes) - Romance - Mystery (now) ... so I'm always learning something new. Is that beginner's luck? 

But good luck - from what I've read from you in the past I'm sure you'll do great! 
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Romantic comedy.  AGAIN.  It's like EVERY OTHER TIME SINCE THE BIG BANG.  I'm so done with it I'm thinking 'Prizzi's Honor' romantic comedy with praying mantis characters (someone's head gets eaten).  I'm debating not bothering to enter anything at all I hate the genera so much and I'm sick of having to write it.

Then again, I have an idea. 

Not sure if it's romantic, probably isn't funny, but if the judges hate then at least I'm not the only one suffering.

LOL. This. Note my comment to stephenmatlock above. And there was this user in Short Story a few months back that was also complaining about getting the same thing for like forever.

But good luck to you anyways!
SaraM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:48am
I have some ideas that are taking shape, but it remains to be seen if my romantic comedy will be funny in any way as comedy is definitely not one of my strengths. I'm rolling with it, but it's a bit daunting!

Does anybody have any advice considering how prevalent the subject/character need to be? For example, if the character prompt shows up as an important secondary character and the subject is explored through an important event, but neither is the main focus, will I be okay?
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:49am
I've been coming up with lots of good suspense ideas. Too bad my genre is thriller! I'm trying to rationalize a bit of lead-up suspense (12 pages of thrilling action is going to get old fast).
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:57am
Originally posted by SaraM SaraM wrote:

Does anybody have any advice considering how prevalent the subject/character need to be? For example, if the character prompt shows up as an important secondary character and the subject is explored through an important event, but neither is the main focus, will I be okay?

From what I have seen, yes. But I'm not that experienced so look out for the advice of folks with a lot of stars on their profile Smile

I've seen on these forums beautiful stories that treated their prompts almost as an afterthought (not the genre one - that's important). And they scored highly - which they deserved because they were great stories.
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:01am
If anyone had a Pol Sat idea that will write itself, feel free to fling it my way.
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:02am
Fairy tale is not that easy in screenplay. for me. Have a scent of a plot, sort of, and am doing some writing around it just to keep the brain moving. Would have loved to get these prompts in short story.
Still, I am going to get something together for submitting, will it be any good? No idea as of yet.
Am listening to "Rumors" and it helps.

Edited by Suave - 19 Apr 2020 at 1:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>