NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdeveau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by wbarr wbarr wrote:

One of my judges wrote a whole paragraph critiquing my one-sentence summary of the story. So ... I guess those really count and are part of the score?

If I had to guess, they are probably a screenwriter. Screenwriters (and screenwriting judges) put an absurd (IMO) emphasis on the importance of the log line.
wbarr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:30pm
You are right! The judge even responded that they didn't understand a sentence referring to a commercial break -- "and I work in film," he/she wrote.'

It's a short story contest, not an elevator pitch contest. Seriously, a whole paragraph about the stupid tagline. Thanks.
R1 H134
Bird's-Eye View
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by wbarr wbarr wrote:

You are right! The judge even responded that they didn't understand a sentence referring to a commercial break -- "and I work in film," he/she wrote.'

It's a short story contest, not an elevator pitch contest. Seriously, a whole paragraph about the stupid tagline. Thanks.

Make sure you leave that judge one-star feedback. They do that EVERY time and there is no reason for them to be doing it. Log lines are not a prose-market thing. They either need to have their priorities reorganized or only judge Screenplay/SScreenplay.
MuffinMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuffinMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Reading sixty stories of any kind in a row would be horrible enough to seriously consider smothering myself with a pillow.  I've often wondered if there's a statistically significant correlation between ranking and the order in which the story was read.

Big smile

I can tell you for sure that order definitely affects your ranking. It shouldn't, but judges are human. I once wrote three essays for college, in class, closed book, and that score made up 75% of my grade in the class. I got a C. I went to the TA who re-read the essays, and his comment was that I was right, my essays were very good, and he changed my grade to an A. He said that sometimes TA's grade these things until midnight and they all run together, and he apologized. I still think that was totally messed up.

Hopefully NYC Midnight judges would try to put a little more effort into judging than my TA for that class did, but there's still no guarantee when this contest is SO subjective!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by MuffinMom MuffinMom wrote:

I can tell you for sure that order definitely affects your ranking. It shouldn't, but judges are human. I once wrote three essays for college, in class, closed book, and that score made up 75% of my grade in the class. I got a C. I went to the TA who re-read the essays, and his comment was that I was right, my essays were very good, and he changed my grade to an A. He said that sometimes TA's grade these things until midnight and they all run together, and he apologized. I still think that was totally messed up.

Hopefully NYC Midnight judges would try to put a little more effort into judging than my TA for that class did, but there's still no guarantee when this contest is SO subjective!

Ya know...I should change my name from "Random Words" to "Random Annotations".  That puts me closer to the front in terms of last name/first name, and maybe closer to the front in reading order.  No idea if that would matter, but it's the only thing I can control.

Edited by Random - 03 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:37pm

Ya know...I should change my name from "Random Words" to "Random Annotations".  That puts me closer to the front in terms of last name/first name, and maybe closer to the front in reading order.  No idea if that would matter, but it's the only thing I can control.

You might do better just putting your credit card number at the bottom of the first page.
MuffinMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuffinMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

You might do better just putting your credit card number at the bottom of the first page.

Ha! That's a good idea! Won't the judge be surprised, though, when they find out the credit card is maxed out?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123