NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConsideringLilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judges
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:05am
Hello, newbie here!

Does anyone who has been in the competition before know if you keep the same judge throughout the rounds or if you are rotated between them?

I know we won't have our results until later today, but I was curious if this competition lends itself to forming any kind of mentor relationship with the judge over time as they read more of your work. It'd be an interesting way to improve since they'd be seeing your work over time, although I can see where this could create complications when judging. For this reason, I'd assume we'd be placed with different judges each time, but I don't remember reading this anywhere.

On another note, do you know if the judges only stick to one genre/heat? I'd feel quite guilty if my judge had to read something like 30-60 horror stories in a row involving a pillow or something.
*Horror stories haunt me, so... I guess they do what they're supposed to?

Stay happy and healthy!
SSC: R1, Grp 141, Suspense: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-grp-141-suspense-exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:24am

The judges rotate and they should be reading the stories blind, so even if you happen to get the same judge in another round, they shouldn't know it's you. 

And everyone in the same heat gets the same three judges. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ConsideringLilies ConsideringLilies wrote:

I'd feel quite guilty if my judge had to read something like 30-60 horror stories in a row involving a pillow or something.
*Horror stories haunt me, so... I guess they do what they're supposed to?

Stay happy and healthy!

Reading sixty stories of any kind in a row would be horrible enough to seriously consider smothering myself with a pillow.  I've often wondered if there's a statistically significant correlation between ranking and the order in which the story was read.

Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
ConsideringLilies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConsideringLilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:46am
I knew it was blind, but I'd just assumed that writing styles might make it obvious eventually. I also didn't know that three different judges per heat.

Thanks a bunch!
SSC: R1, Grp 141, Suspense: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-grp-141-suspense-exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375
ConsideringLilies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConsideringLilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:55am
Stay happy and healthy![/QUOTE]

Reading sixty stories of any kind in a row would be horrible enough to seriously consider smothering myself with a pillow.  I've often wondered if there's a statistically significant correlation between ranking and the order in which the story was read.

Big smile
[/QUOTE]

I believe it would be hard for it not to make a difference. I imagine it'd be almost impossible to separate each story from the others I had read before, good or bad.

Is all of the judging is subjective besides meeting the competition and heat guidelines (and grammar assumedly)?
A quantitative study of its affects would be difficult to look at since one story may affect all of the judges a different way. Ah, the beauty of the written word
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 3:07pm
We can't even be sure the judges have the same numbers contest to contest. 

People DID catch one in the last FFC contest copy/pasting the same feedback to everyone. (That judge, we're told, was fired and people's scores got recalculated.) We have the Capitalization Fairy (who thinks if you're writing a fantasy story you're supposed to capitalize "Magic" and "Wizard" because they're 'archetypal words.') One judge (may be the same one) is pathologically fixated on the log line and critiques them more than the actual story sometimes. And it would be fair to have the impression from a lot of feedback that many judges are reading genres with which they're TOTALLY unfamiliar as far as the real-world market goes. Sci-fi and fantasy are particular victims of that type. 
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:15pm
I didn't know about a judge who was copying/pasting but that would explain the comments I got from one judge. I questioned whether that person had even read my story based on their comments.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Pajamas All Day Pajamas All Day wrote:

I didn't know about a judge who was copying/pasting but that would explain the comments I got from one judge. I questioned whether that person had even read my story based on their comments.

If it makes you feel any better "Did they even read my story" is an extremely common reaction.

After sixty stories the answer is probably yes, but the other 59 are still bouncing around and the judge is only one dangling participle away from insanity.  Even odds which direction.
This sig intentionally blank
Laurie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:27pm
I once had a judge critique my piece because it was implied in the final scene that my character drove away in her car after getting drunk. The judge said I was setting a bad example for readers. Uhmm ... are they familiar with fiction? I wasn't writing a treatise on safe driving, for goodness sake. So frustrating ... 

Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:27pm
I had a critique once that the judge didn't like that my MC thought his curse may have been caused by the devil.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>