NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenwriting Bloodbath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote womblehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:22am
I was also surprised that some of the scripts I read did not get to the next round, or HM. There were some incredible scripts submitted, for sure. 

Good luck with the final round!

pluginmatty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pluginmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:58pm
deleted.

Edited by pluginmatty - 16 Apr 2020 at 5:50am
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by pluginmatty pluginmatty wrote:

//snipped//

I can't speak for other groups, but Group 2's judges ignored the 'comedy' prompt and rewarded three advancing entrants for writing drama, sci-fi, and fantasy.

I don't see myself entering again.

I'm not a script writer (but I can type one out), so take what I say with your salt celler--but it seems that the script judges are wildly unpredictable. I would agree that we all want professionals--or as close to professionals as possible--but sometimes I wonder if the judges are aware of the limitations we have.

I think I've decoded that "this needs more details" as "you tried to write too big of a story," but I'd like to see that spelled out more.

And golly, I'd love to see what their real judging criteria is--not to try to game the system, but to understand what it is they are really looking for so I can be more content with the judges' responses.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

[QUOTE
I'm not a script writer (but I can type one out), so take what I say with your salt celler--but it seems that the script judges are wildly unpredictable. I would agree that we all want professionals--or as close to professionals as possible--but sometimes I wonder if the judges are aware of the limitations we have.

I think I've decoded that "this needs more details" as "you tried to write too big of a story," but I'd like to see that spelled out more.

And golly, I'd love to see what their real judging criteria is--not to try to game the system, but to understand what it is they are really looking for so I can be more content with the judges' responses.

I am not sure that seeing this info would be of all that much help as they seem to change the goal post willy-nilly depending on whims.  They are a lot like professors with tenure, who, in their minds, can do no wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12