NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do so few of us actually post our stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coffeeandcookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:31am
That is wild Suave! Lol. They say you're not really famous until you have haters and stalkers, so that means you made it! LOL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:37am
Originally posted by coffeeandcookies coffeeandcookies wrote:

That is wild Suave! Lol. They say you're not really famous until you have haters and stalkers, so that means you made it! LOL

Haha, hope so!
coffeeandcookies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeandcookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by sinister sinister wrote:

I'm sort of surprised at how few people from each heat actually post their stories on the forums.  Looking at the master list, there are very few heats that have more than 5 people with stories posted for feedback.  Each heat has, what, 30 people?  

In my mind, the forum feedback is part of the value for money that this contest provides, and I feel like you're kind of wasting your entry fee if you don't take advantage of it.  

All of this to say, if you know someone in this contest who hasn't posted their story for feedback, go poke them and make them do that thing.

:)

Honestly, the reason I didn't post my story was because I didn't realize this forum existed at first. I basically just paid for my entry fee on the main website and never looked at the forums. I think a lot of people probably did the same thing. Then, when I found out about the forums, I still didn't post it because I was afraid I might jinx myself somehow! THEN, I felt the forums were a little bit hard for me to navigate through. Everything seems tiny sms hard to click on and read to me. It took a little while for me to get used to the message boards. I didn't have patience to find out how the boards were organized a few months ago.

Also, I have a colleague of mine that proofreads my writing for me and gives me advice, so I didn't need to ask strangers for advice necessarily. I also had my old English teacher from high school look at my story. I felt like she knew me best, so I felt comfortable asking her to read it for me instead of asking people on the forums. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 1:29am
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the reason I didn't post my story was because I didn't realize this forum existed at first. I basically just paid for my entry fee on the main website and never looked at the forums. I think a lot of people probably did the same thing. Then, when I found out about the forums, I still didn't post it because I was afraid I might jinx myself somehow! THEN, I felt the forums were a little bit hard for me to navigate through. Everything seems tiny sms hard to click on and read to me. It took a little while for me to get used to the message boards. I didn't have patience to find out how the boards were organized a few months ago.

Also, I have a colleague of mine that proofreads my writing for me and gives me advice, so I didn't need to ask strangers for advice necessarily. I also had my old English teacher from high school look at my story. I felt like she knew me best, so I felt comfortable asking her to read it for me instead of asking people on the forums. 
[/QUOTE]

All valid reasons: I just like having someone read my work and comment on it as I never try and sell any of it, though I am nearing a self published book in the next year or so.  The forum takes up a lot of time too, which I have lots of, but for a worker bee it might prove too much time investment because generally the way you get feedback is by leaving feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456