NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do so few of us actually post our stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do so few of us actually post our stories?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:48pm
I'm sort of surprised at how few people from each heat actually post their stories on the forums.  Looking at the master list, there are very few heats that have more than 5 people with stories posted for feedback.  Each heat has, what, 30 people?  

In my mind, the forum feedback is part of the value for money that this contest provides, and I feel like you're kind of wasting your entry fee if you don't take advantage of it.  

All of this to say, if you know someone in this contest who hasn't posted their story for feedback, go poke them and make them do that thing.

:)
jumpingjackflash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jumpingjackflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:17pm
I could tell you why I don't but that would prove controversial and I don't want to open a can of worms or get people angry/upset.

My partner does sometimes but I never have!
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:27pm
I know some people don't because they plan to publish and don't want to put it out where other people can see it. Others may feel insecure about their work, or hated it, or maybe never finished. Or maybe they just don't want the obligation of returning reviews, haha.

I think a lot of people just don't really engage in the forums at all, either because they don't really know about them, or just found them overwhelming.

I'm sure there's a dozen other reasons, but I also wish more people did! I'm disappointed that I only saw three other people in my heat post their stories, but also recognize that I'm lucky that it was more than just me!
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:29pm
I mean, the concern about publication is solved just by deactivating the share link from your Google doc once the round is over.  Unless you're worried about someone stealing your idea, I guess, which, ok.

sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:31pm
Also, Reasonably_Crazy...

You're going to be AMAZING.  :)
rachell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
I posted mine the first year I did it and got some nice feedback. 

But now, with an infant and a toddler, I feel guilty posting my story and asking for feedback while knowing that I probably won't be able to give quality feedback in return. It doesn't seem fair.

SpaceDummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpaceDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:07pm
This exactly. I fall into the hated it/writer's remorse/what was I thinking category.
Illuminaughty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illuminaughty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:00pm
I write with another person who would prefer we didn't share, so we never have. There's a few stories we've written that took first in our heat, and a few that definitely did not, and the feedback from judges remains pretty much the same—so, I mean, I would like to post. If not to get a little more feedback whether varied from the judge's or not. Also, the heat we were placed in currently only has one story posted. Writing as a team involves respecting the other person though, so I won't post. I've considered commenting to share my thoughts on other people's work, but I wondered if it would bug people that I wasn't making myself equally as vulnerable to peer commentary/there was no ability for them to verify that I'd also competed. 
Cat Logan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Illuminaughty Illuminaughty wrote:

I write with another person who would prefer we didn't share, so we never have. There's a few stories we've written that took first in our heat, and a few that definitely did not, and the feedback from judges remains pretty much the same—so, I mean, I would like to post. If not to get a little more feedback whether varied from the judge's or not. Also, the heat we were placed in currently only has one story posted. Writing as a team involves respecting the other person though, so I won't post. I've considered commenting to share my thoughts on other people's work, but I wondered if it would bug people that I wasn't making myself equally as vulnerable to peer commentary/there was no ability for them to verify that I'd also competed. 

Hi Illuminaughty,
I think about 99.9999999% of the people who post would *love* for you to give feedback on their stories and would probably feel relieved you didn't expect any back! It's time-consuming to read stories and give quality feedback, and I find it difficult to return the favor timely, although we have a few months to catch everyone back, so that's good. :)

Edited by Cat Logan - 04 Feb 2020 at 8:30pm
SSR1 G199: All Aboard for Love
MFR2 G23: Farm Land
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:18pm
I started writing a year and a half ago. My first story was for the NYCM Flash Fiction 2018 contest. I was terrified to post and felt out of my league. I got really good feedback from the judges, both positive and critiques but got 0 points. For the second round, I was equally terrified and thought my story was horrible so I didn’t post. I came in 1st in my heat. That gave me the confidence I needed to post my work after that. Good, bad, or ugly, my work can only get better if I work at it. But you have to be ready for tough critiques if they come (I am now) and I wasn’t until I got the boost I needed from winning my round.
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>