NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do so few of us actually post our stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incompletegenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:12am
Any joy since, Rubix?

Google Docs seems to have been the popular choice (Sharing as 'View only') and using a bit.ly link to keep it nice and short for posting the link in your forum signature.

Glad to help if needed?

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:33am
I was a hesitant joiner of the forums - meaning I waited a couple of contests to post a story, since then I have posted everything I have entered and love it.  I have had a lot of great reviews and couple of what I call haters reviews, had one person that was so upset about one story that scored high on in the FFC that she started constantly private messaging me, and somehow got my email, finally had to block her. I still love having people read my stories and leave feedback, it is a hoot. Plus, I always return reads and feedback, even if it is only pat on the back type, we all love to hear it.

Edited by Suave - 25 Mar 2020 at 5:22am
travlndiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travlndiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 1:46am
Total newb here.  And I'm not happy with my story (the genre is not my forte).  I need to figure it all out and see how things go and I haven't written in about a decade, so I'm testing the waters.  Plus, no one else posted in my category.  Maybe one day!
ConsideringLilies View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ConsideringLilies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:57pm
Last I checked, I was the only person in my heat to post online. It's too bad. It'd be great to see what other people came up with when they received the exact same prompt! Think of all the possibilities and idea
I do understand why some people wouldn't post. Honestly I thought it was expected of us since this is my first competition here, and really my first time writing. Maybe I would have made a different decision if I'd thought of it more, but I was so happy with the feedback I got and the feedback I got to give
SSC: R1, Grp 141, Suspense: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-grp-141-suspense-exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375exotica_topic31993_post330375.html?KW=#330375
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ConsideringLilies ConsideringLilies wrote:

Last I checked, I was the only person in my heat to post online. It's too bad. It'd be great to see what other people came up with when they received the exact same prompt! Think of all the possibilities and idea
I do understand why some people wouldn't post. Honestly I thought it was expected of us since this is my first competition here, and really my first time writing. Maybe I would have made a different decision if I'd thought of it more, but I was so happy with the feedback I got and the feedback I got to give

It is always a disappointment when no one else post in your heat, has happened to me a couple of times, but then once in while you will get 6 or 7 others post and that's a hoot.  I would just take the low number in your own heat to read other heats of your genre - that has gotten me interested in such things as fairy tales, lol.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by ConsideringLilies ConsideringLilies wrote:

I've been on the forums since 2013. I've always felt a sense of camaraderie.

Until recently. I discovered that an entrant was copying and posting / distributing the stories as their own, and another entrant was simply copying every story for their "own use."

So I've stopped.

It is ungracious to steal someone's work. It is ungracious to use someone's work without their permission. Early drafts are not for anyone to re-consume. They are the author's to own, and not for anyone to grab a hold of.

I am sorry that I can no longer find trust, but it is what it is, and I am choosing to own my work and to distribute in other ways for feedback.

And although I've paid to enter the last three contests, I ended up not even turning anything in--not because I do not trust the judges, but because my heart has gone out of this venue.

I'm still willing to give feedback here, as thoroughly as I can, and in full honesty that I will not copy or re-purpose the works posted here.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:19pm
I don't know of the plagiarizing stated by stephenmatlock, as I have not seen any posts about it before, and I am on the forums all the time over the last few years.  But, I will say this, I enjoy the forums and people reading my work that other wise would not see the light of day. If I am going to live my life in fear of someone stealing from me then I might as well live under a rock and never go anywhere. If a short story is such that you want to protect it, for time line, then maybe copyright it for real.  I will be one that always posts to the forum because it makes life just that little bit better despite the risk that maybe some black hearted person might do me wrong.

Edited by Suave - 28 Mar 2020 at 11:30pm
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:33pm
That is a decision I respect and can understand.

Be well in all you do. Wash your hands, and stay safe!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:07pm
You "copyrighted it for real" under US law the moment your wrote it. Contrary to legend there is no law requiring you register it, you don't have to put a little c-in-a-circle and your name on it, it is yours the creator's until...I think we're up to 90 years after your death? Unless you explicitly state it is under another sort of license it's yours. 

I would be curious to know who's stealing what and how they're distributing it, though, as I suspect if that can be proven they at least could get perma-banned from the contests. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

You "copyrighted it for real" under US law the moment your wrote it. Contrary to legend there is no law requiring you register it, you don't have to put a little c-in-a-circle and your name on it, it is yours the creator's until...I think we're up to 90 years after your death? Unless you explicitly state it is under another sort of license it's yours. 

I would be curious to know who's stealing what and how they're distributing it, though, as I suspect if that can be proven they at least could get perma-banned from the contests. 

Yes, it is copyrighted when you write it, however some feel the need to go through the channels. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>