NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do so few of us actually post our stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

It is like this:  when you've been in this comp for a while, you become a better writer.  But you still have your day job, your bread and butter job.  But when you become a better writer, you usually spend more time submitting for publication or seriously working on a novel.  You may also spend time in a writer's group or going to writing seminars, lectures, reading writing books, and so on. 

Honestly, I find it is seldom truly appreciated.  People say they want a "real review" but I don't think many writers do or understand what that entails.  Correcting someone's grammar isn't a review.  By the time the story has hit the fan (lo) the writer probably has already figured out those mistakes; furthermore, I've read numerous -- more than I can count -- corrections that were incorrect.  The reviews that are merely grammar corrections or "nice story" are another reason why many people don't post.  They don'thave the time to review a story in return for someone who gave their story such a shoddy review. 

Tremendous amount of wisdom in that post.  I snipped quite a bit, but the whole thing is worth a couple reads.

I joined these contests because my writing could suck-start a Huey.  Some patterns emerged, I fixed a few problems, and now I can barely suck-start a gyrocopter.  Okay, I'm still not all that interested in being published, but that's more about my personal chapter in the DSM.

As for the forums, I used to post, but that ended after a while along with using beta readers.  As with most things it's both complicated and simple.
This sig intentionally blank
Taj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:01am
I find the format of the forums kind of unwieldy and difficult to navigate. Maybe it’s because I use my iPad or just haven’t done it enough to get familiar with it, but I’ve only shared once and after that I have found myself unwilling to do again just because it’s not that convenient. I wish there was a closed Facebook group where we could easily post and comment. The navigation would be easier, and it would easy to search for heatmates with proper 🏷labeling of posts.however it would require admins.
https://denoreasa.wordpress.com/
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Taj Taj wrote:

I find the format of the forums kind of unwieldy and difficult to navigate. Maybe it’s because I use my iPad or just haven’t done it enough to get familiar with it, but I’ve only shared once and after that I have found myself unwilling to do again just because it’s not that convenient. I wish there was a closed Facebook group where we could easily post and comment. The navigation would be easier, and it would easy to search for heatmates with proper 🏷labeling of posts.however it would require admins.

That would simplify things, particularly since I won't touch Facebook.  If they went that route it wouldn't even be a consideration  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
Krystyne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krystyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 11:15am

Have you ever really tried to find anything in a Facebook group? Wow what an unwieldy mess that would be! This forum is so much easier to navigate! 
2022 - SSC R1 H198: Karma No one holds a grudge longer than Death.

2020 - SSC R1 H75: The Lemonade Stand
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Krystyne Krystyne wrote:

Have you ever really tried to find anything in a Facebook group? Wow what an unwieldy mess that would be! This forum is so much easier to navigate! 

Oh, God, THIS. And then Facebook will change algorithms and you can't' find it again.
schaeferdrinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schaeferdrinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:58pm
I am having so much fun reading random short stories.  
You never know what you are going to get!
Reading for entertainment value while keeping an eye towards writing a review is expanding my view of writing.  This is like a creative writing class.
Thanks to the people who are posting their stories.

Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:20pm
I second that emotion, Schaeferdrinker.
Phobos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phobos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:07am
So to sum up:
Some people don't post because they think they're too bad.
Some people don't post because they think they're too good.
Some people don't post because they think the peer reviews are too bad.
Some people don't post because they think people will steal their ideas.
Some people don't post because they can't be bothered to learn forums.

Anything else?
Fear is a powerful motivator. To some, it is a god.
SSC20 C1
FFC19 C2
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:17pm
And some people don't have the time to engage.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
Rubix_Rube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubix_Rube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:12pm
This is my first writing competition and I was terrified of sharing my story but decided I would as a vital part of the process but I sat for over an hour trying to work out how to do it and failed miserably!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>