NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do so few of us actually post our stories?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:47pm
I'm not posting for Reasons, but I'm reviewing stories.
Clare1564 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare1564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
I have posted but so far I have not had time to review anyone’s story, which I feel really guilty about. I wonder if this is why people don’t post.
IReen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IReen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:18am
I am also in the "too busy" camp.  I've participated for a few years now and the first few competitions I really tried to read and review everyone who gave me feedback and I fell behind each time.  I feel incredibly bad about that. So now I abstain from posting my story because I don't want to let others down, or feel the guilt of not following through.  I will occasionally come and read and review when I have time.  I also hang out on the forums sometimes, watching others interactions but not chiming in much.  

I think this is a great contest with great people, and agree that the forums and feedback, the interaction of participants, are factors that make it so good.  :)

Edited by IReen - 05 Feb 2020 at 11:19am
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by sinister sinister wrote:

I mean, the concern about publication is solved just by deactivating the share link from your Google doc once the round is over.  Unless you're worried about someone stealing your idea, I guess, which, ok.

It also operates on the assumption you're going to submit exactly what you wrote here with no alterations, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting feedback on it. 
Pajamas All Day View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
It's disappointing that more people don't choose to participate for whatever reason. I really enjoy reading what others chose to do with the same prompts I received; however, in the last two NYC Midnight contests I've participated in only three other writers (in my heat) have submitted their work for review. I'd love to be able to read the top five stories in each and every heat after the judging has been done. That would help me considerably more than any judges' comments I've ever received. I tend to get conflicting comments. One judge loves something that another judge hates. Plus, I just enjoy good stories. 
jumpingjackflash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumpingjackflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Pajamas All Day Pajamas All Day wrote:

It's disappointing that more people don't choose to participate for whatever reason. I really enjoy reading what others chose to do with the same prompts I received; however, in the last two NYC Midnight contests I've participated in only three other writers (in my heat) have submitted their work for review. I'd love to be able to read the top five stories in each and every heat after the judging has been done. That would help me considerably more than any judges' comments I've ever received. I tend to get conflicting comments. One judge loves something that another judge hates. Plus, I just enjoy good stories. 

Being able to read the top five would really help when you get a genre you're not comfortable with. I'd love to read stories that have done well in something like horror (which I've never really written), just to get an idea of what the judges like
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:41pm
It would be incredibly helpful to me and very enjoyable. I know it would also be a lot of work and would require the participation of everyone but I still think it would be a great idea. This contest is NOT cheap but I can always justify spending the money if I'm at least learning and reading great writing. 
Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
I usually do post my entries, but this year my Round 1 story is not great. I struggled all week to come up with a plot, and due to personal things and a busy schedule, I started writing on the final day and finished my one draft literally right before the deadline. It was an effort to just submit something instead of giving up completely.
I'm not happy with what I wrote, and I know where the problem spots are...I don't really see any reason to have other people read it at this point. It needs a major overhaul before I'll be comfortable with anyone else seeing it...Confused
SSC R1: Hard Lessons
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pajamas All Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:13pm
Oh, I totally understand that. The same thing happened to me in the second half of the first round of the last flash fiction contest. Ironically, I was at a writing conference and had zero time to write the horror story I'd been assigned. I frantically concocted a story and submitted with two minutes to spare. Oddly, I kind of love it. Even though I didn't post it in the forum, I hope to polish it at some point and maybe submit it to some online magazines and journals. That's the thing about this contest, at the very least it gets me writing and pushes me out of my comfort zone.
laritybug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laritybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by rachell rachell wrote:

I posted mine the first year I did it and got some nice feedback. 

But now, with an infant and a toddler, I feel guilty posting my story and asking for feedback while knowing that I probably won't be able to give quality feedback in return. It doesn't seem fair.

I actually review others because I like reading stories. Plus I'm an English teacher and it's nice not to have to mince words dealing with children. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to reviews though because I try to get them all. I start off with my heat and the following 5 heats and for every person who reviews me I do the next two people on the list. The signature links don't work with my network so this wierd method has seen me through. I always end up with several pages of reviews from lots of writers and I still feel like I gave back to the community more than I take. 

BUT that being said seeing "will not return reviews due to x,y,z" wouldn't deter me in the slightest. Id post :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>