FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rec List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DukeREK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DukeREK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rec List
    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:15pm
Another great little story, imo. Spy genre, this time.

Dvmason View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Agree on reading stories without reviews! But for the sake of this page, so far the story I'm still thinking about is "As Always" by Red Lion. 

Really well done. 
H213 "In Between & Through"
Suspense [Adventure/ Fantasy]
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:09pm
I took tdevau's advice and went to find a story with no reviews, and I'm glad I did!

"Must Be Comfortable in New Situations" by Arithered is delight. 

It gave me a sort of Good Omens vibe. The premise is clever, the prose has some great one-liners, and the dialogue is genuine. It's been up since the 29th but I was the first to review it - Check it out!
tdeveau View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tdeveau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm
My favourite so far has been The Artist is Not Present

This list is nice and all, but I'd also point out that there are quite a few stories that haven't gotten any replies/feedback yet. I'd encourage people to try and take a look at some of those as well as the popular ones!
DukeREK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DukeREK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 7:10pm
This story has got some feels, in my opinion. (In a genre I hate, no less...)

Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Reasonably_Crazy Reasonably_Crazy wrote:

There are a bunch of great stories on the boards, but we may never have time to read them all (no matter how we try!)

Did you have a favorite? Are any sticking around in your head long after you read them? Share the link to a story you really enjoyed & why everyone else should take the time to check it out, too!

(Don't have a favorite yet? I like to go to the end of the forum to find stories that have zero comments posted. Let's dig for those hidden gems!)

Here are some of my favorites (so far!):

The Sodfather or something, I guess by ideallyowlish. 
It's as comedy with dry, quick humor, and some nods out past the fourth wall that any competitor will appreciate. If you want something fun to read, this is it.

Andy Anderson, Apprentice Detective by Charlie272
Unfortunately my heatmate, so I have some stiff competition. I'm a sucker for well-executed non-chronological storytelling, and Charlie pulls it off and adds a strong narrative voice. Some great humor in here, too. 

I’ve been away from the forums for a few days and so I’m just now seeing this. Wow, thanks for the shout-out... Yours is one of my favorites as well - here’s to hoping we can go to the next round together. 
And ideallyowlish, my former groupmate in Flash, never disappoints.
Flash '23 Finals: Delicate Silk, Woven Strands
Short Screenplay '22 Finals: Without Music
jdadams1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Reasonably_Crazy Reasonably_Crazy wrote:

If you're looking for a good romance, I have a story for you!

From Pepper Valley by jdadams1

A bittersweet romance told via letters between high school sweethearts, slowly remembering what they had, and circling around what went wrong. It'll get you in the heart for sure.

Thank you very much for the recommendation! I was very unsure about this one; in fact, it was my third attempt (after some of my typical monster and soap-opera drafts). I am glad it’s getting such a good reception!
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 1:19am
Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

I've read lots of good ones so far, but my fave is The Anti-Wedding Planner by northernwriter:

Thank you!! I JUST took the story down so I can focus on my novel. LOL I guess I will put it back up now so people aren't like "what story?" (Also it's PG-13 rated.)

There are a lot of great stories. Two of the best I've read are Truth and Fire https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-h128-truth-and-fire_topic31809.html, a gorgeous and powerful fairy tale by Seacore, and Lesser Things, https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic31764_post329960.html#329960, a taut and compelling mystery by sidle_by. 

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex

Edited by northernwriter - 03 Feb 2020 at 3:09am
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:53pm
If you're looking for a good romance, I have a story for you!

From Pepper Valley by jdadams1

A bittersweet romance told via letters between high school sweethearts, slowly remembering what they had, and circling around what went wrong. It'll get you in the heart for sure.
Sugar Stripes View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Stripes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:02pm
I found this Fairy Tale to be utterly charming:

Go check it out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>