NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, that was (nearly) impossible!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OKCryptid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Spooky Spooky wrote:

When when you say ‘passive voice’ and ‘state of being verbs’ what do you mean? Like ‘he was happy’? And just using the passive tense? Cos now I’m gonna take a look and see if I did bad there!

Great tool for finding this (and other issues) is Hemingway Editor

I like using it if I'm stuck at a midway point and feel like something's wrong with the flow, and just before a final edit to see if I can break up some larger sentences. 

Obviously it's still just a program and isn't always "correct," so use with discretion to your own tastes. 
IBX View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by DukeREK DukeREK wrote:

I hear that.

Romantic comedy sent me scrambling into mental caverns I have never explored and that I dynamited after I had. I even sat down and watched When Harry got mail or somesuch.

I then wrote over 1000 words for each of seven different stories before deleting them and reformating my hard drive in case proof of their existence ever cropped up again. 

Number eight was the one that I hated the least.

Also had romantic comedy.  Struggled a good bit.  Was 1,700 words in before any romance started happening...if you could even call it such.

LackofBetter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LackofBetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:49pm
I'm relating to everything you guys are saying. There were so many ideas I wanted to try  but struggled because I'm normally an abstract writer and questioned if the judges had time to dissect metaphors. 

If I make it thru, I want to include some of the elements I include in my writing normally. 

Overall, I'm proud I got it done and you should be too!
www.lackofbetter.com
shady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Spooky Spooky wrote:

That was your first story since college? Then you did amazing! I found it hard. I take a long time when I write. I usually take two weeks alone to work on voice. As such, my story doesn’t be really have any lol. When when you say ‘passive voice’ and ‘state of being verbs’ what do you mean? Like ‘he was happy’? And just using the passive tense? Cos now I’m gonna take a look and see if I did bad there!

Passive voice is when there is no subject doing the action: “the book was placed on the table.” As opposed to “she placed the book on the table.”
State of being verbs: is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been, etc. if you use more descriptive verbs instead it sounds much better. Instead of: “ His hair was short and dark.” Try: “The short cut of his dark hair complemented his face.” Or something that works with what you are writing.
shady
mandabanana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:32pm
It's my first time entering too! I had reviewed previous genres and prompts and was worried I'd get one I absolutely couldn't handle, like Political Satire. I was so excited I got Sci-Fi (I've been reading a lot of it lately). It was definitely an interesting process because you don't want to make the prompt TOO obvious, but you don't want to make it difficult to sense either. Finding that balance and integrating everything well is what messed me up the most. Clarity was also a problem. You don't want to say too much or be too wordy either, especially with 2500; but you know you have to set the scene and show character development all in that word count so there's things you have to skip over. I definitely had fun, but I second your opinion that it was a...different experience.
SSC1 R1, H11 | The Gravity of Deliverance
Sci-fi | Betrayal | Delivery Driver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234