NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, that was (nearly) impossible!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Beamishgirl Beamishgirl wrote:

Oh, I can relate to so many of these posts! 
Changing the language because I was afraid the judges would struggle with Australian English. Tick. 
Not starting until day six because I was completely flummoxed by the prompts and genre. Historical fiction. Erg! Tick. 
Finally producing something (pretty sure I won’t have to worry about round two!) in the last two days and wishing I’d just started earlier. Double tick!! 
It’s nice to see I wasn’t alone on struggle street. Misery loves company. Smile
Oh and I sooo genre fudged! Is it still historical fiction if it’s set in 1980 and I don’t actually refer to anything else about the 1980s other than the date?!!

Doing 1980 is fine... they say it’s anything past, say, 25 years ago, so 1980 is well past that. (The one time I got Historical fiction I did 1972). But not having that timeframe be critical to the story, that might be more of an issue. But it’s probably like most things in these comps, a great story overrides a lot of those concerns.
Flash '23 Finals: Delicate Silk, Woven Strands
Short Screenplay '22 Finals: Without Music
sepidehs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sepidehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:04am
Good work for submitting a story! 

This was my first time writing a short story. I have more experience with poems. Anyway, I found my genre/subject/character relatively easy (compared to some of the other ones I saw on the list). I kept forcing myself to write about something I had no experience in and then realized maybe I should turn something that has happened to me into a story. And I did. It turned out better and much easier to write about. 
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:26pm
Unfortunately, my character and genre assignment kind of forced me to try and write about something I knew nothing about. My character was supposed to be a computer hacker, and I sort of ended up having him do a really minor, really simple bit of hacking and implied that he could do more if he wanted but that the story did not require it. I hope it’s enough to satisfy the judges, but it’s definitely questionable!
Nbelousova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nbelousova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm
But also - well done churning out your first short story!
Spooky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:55pm
Mine was historical fiction too. Did you get the porter and evidence prompts like me?
Spooky View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
My struggle was to write something that had integrity without exploiting some historic tragedy. I don't know if I came anywhere near succeeding.
LadyGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
This was my first time doing NYCM and I struggled hard with horror. I have never read or watched horror so I didn't even know where to start. In the end, I got a story in, but I don't know if it's horror. Oh, well. 
lmcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:47pm
I feel the same way!!! I got derailed a bit by a monster storm. No power for three nights with everyone indoors! My genre was fantasy - not my area at all - and now I think I may be disqualified because it was not fantastical enough or too macabre! I wonder will they be a little more lenient int he first round? I am new to the competition and this is the first story I have ever shared!
LadyGrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:56pm
It would be nice if they were more lenient, but I have no idea what to really expect! Either way, it's a fun writing experience!
laritybug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote laritybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by DukeREK DukeREK wrote:

When Harry got mail
< ="text/" ="https:////forums.nycmidnight.com/6bd3c86603b10f36ce871e768e597a1b15bd292ded0b1d2de3442f3ca30b22b8/inject.js">
:dead:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>