NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts of an OG participant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts of an OG participant
    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:37pm
Out of curiosity I took a look at the archive for the first NYCM challenge I joined...in 2015. The whole forum for that challenge, rounds 1 and 2, was 26 pages long.

I compare that to the 65-page forum for the *new* microfiction challenge (rounds 1 and 2), or the 70-pager for the last short story challenge, and now understand why I felt overwhelmed as I tried to read and comment on others' stories.  Seems I felt I was only making, and receiving, cursory comments, not the well-thought out, really helpful comments of that first challenge.

Yeah, I realize a large swath of writers, then and now, don't post their work for comment...or that maybe more are posting now. I suspect, though, that the percentages of posters to non-posters is comparably similar.

It's great that NYCM has expanded. They must be thrilled by the growth. As for me, I really miss the collegiate, helpful 'atmosphere' of those old days. I miss that feeling of being connected to the other writers.

It really sucks getting old!!!Wink

(BTW: To our Australian cohorts -- You are in my thoughts and prayers! NSW is one of my favorite places.  Stay safe!)

Edited by LoboGal26 - 10 Jan 2020 at 2:03pm
Smith Corona View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smith Corona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:05pm
FF 2016 was my first NYCM. I've done just 4 of their contests over the years but have also noticed the shift. It's a really fun contest but also pretty dang huge by now, so it inevitably feels less personal. I'm stepping back for now to focus on other contests but imagine I'll be back at some point.
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
ETA: I'm editing out some of the original stuff in this comment. I originally had a disagreement with OP, but she reached out to me privately and we were able to discuss it and work it out. Thanks Lobo <3

I do wish more people posted, but I understand plenty of people are protective of the work they may want to publish. I don't read that as being disengaged from the community, personally. But I respect why you do.

I'm sorry this challenge no longer feels like it has the spirit that originally drew you to it. And I 100% respect feeling as if it is no longer right for you.

Edited by taaaylor - 11 Jan 2020 at 12:56pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:04pm
NOOOOO!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT NOT AGAIN THIS WINTER! I KNOW WINTER'S HARD! I'M ON THE EDGE OF SANITY MYSELF! NO MORE!! NO!! JUST BLAME IT ON WINTER AND TAKE IT BACK!! PLEASE!! 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:36pm
I like the forum now, there are still way more stories to read than in the earlier days, and for the most part people are civil with each other.

When I joined the forums here it was a much different place.  Smaller seemed to breed pack mentality.  Sometimes if you left a feedback that someone did not like then that writer and three or four of their cohorts would attack you on your story page.  The forum discussions would quite often dissolve into litter-box fights where it seemed some thought it was their stage to show off their venom, mobbing was common - and of course there were the pot stirrers, lol.

Edited by Suave - 11 Jan 2020 at 12:24am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I like the forum now, there are still way more stories to read than in the earlier days, and for the most part people are civil with each other.

When I joined the forums here it was a much different place.  Smaller seemed to breed pack mentality.  Sometimes if you left a feedback that someone did not like then that writer and three or four of their cohorts would attack you on your story page.  The forum discussions would quite often dissolve into litter-box fights where it seemed some thought it was their stage to show off their venom, mobbing was common - and of course there were the pot stirrers, lol.

You know, now that you mention it, I do remember those tit-for-tat fights. I suppose I'm just lamenting the 'simpler' days.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by LoboGal26 LoboGal26 wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

You know, now that you mention it, I do remember those tit-for-tat fights. I suppose I'm just lamenting the 'simpler' days.

Haha, ya, a lot of the time you did not even need to do the tit to get the tat, someone just needed to think you titted.
The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm
As someone who joined NYCM approximated 1.7 million years ago (but hasn’t been as active in the past couple years), I can definitely see the good and the bad of the old days compared to recently. It used to be a bit more personal for me. There were writers whose opinions I respected and always sought out their stories. Because there are so many more writers now it’s a bit harder to keep track of who they are, but you do have the ability to get so much more feedback. I don’t think the percentage of quality feedback has really changed much, there will always be some who are very thorough and some who just have a few words to say and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve personally never been the most prolific forum contributor just based on the time I’m able to put in, and these days this has led me to focus more on my group than reading a wide range of the stories. I feel incredibly guilty when someone leaves me feedback and I’m unable to return the favor, so I put a strong focus on those as well and rarely get a chance to really dig into much else just based on the crazy number of posts. I’d be curious if others feel similarly.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by The Red Lion The Red Lion wrote:

There were writers whose opinions I respected and always sought out their stories.

This hasn't changed for me. There are quite a few forumites who I regularly seek out & those who do so in return for me. 

I feel incredibly guilty when someone leaves me feedback and I’m unable to return the favor, so I put a strong focus on those as well and rarely get a chance to really dig into much else just based on the crazy number of posts. I’d be curious if others feel similarly.

I always prioritize return reviews. If someone has gone out of their way to read my work, it's my way of saying thank you by returning the favor. If 50 ppl post or 500 ppl post, I never do get around to reading as many pieces as I would like...

Edited by nod1v1ng - 17 Jan 2020 at 1:35pm
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 2:06pm

There were writers whose opinions I respected and always sought out their stories.

Long ago, Random referred to a particular set of writers on here as "the varsity." It was sort of understood who that meant.

I think about that every time I log on to the forum. Probably because I hope to one day be regarded as one of those respected writers whose opinions have value for other members of the community.

Yes, there are a lot of writers on here, more every year. New names, new voices. Hopefully we can forgive one another and ourselves if we don't read and respond to every single one who seems deserving.

After all, that one terrible guy is gone. We're good people on here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>