NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission wine bar: how did it go?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ideallyowlish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:01am
Is 5am too late for wine? Because that's what time it is where I am Confused I think I need it, if only to suppress the trauma of researching those goddamn clouds!

I genuinely thought I'd love the open genre, but I didn't anticipate how much choice paralysis would slow me down. I had maybe three ideas worth pursuing, but I kept vacillating between them all until waaaay too late for comfort. Finally settled on something I'm pretty happy with, or at least something I know I've had success with in the past. 

Looking forward to seeing how you all got on!
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:09am
Are we allowed to do the logline and title post? I'm super curious to see what everyone else wrote!
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Are we allowed to do the logline and title post? I'm super curious to see what everyone else wrote!

Definitely! Just not the stories themselves yet. I started the thread a minute ago because I'm pretty dang excited too ;)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
pash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:35am
Well, I'm flying to Mexico tomorrow, so now I'm packing. WOULD DO TERRIBLE THINGS FOR WINE RIGHT NOW.

Can't wait to read what everyone came up with!!
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 6:10am
Resisted the urge to re-submit at 4 AM. After wine induced re-editing. 

I've made that mistake before...
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:43am
I submitted mine at about 2:30 in the afternoon, not because I was completely satisfied with it but because I was just that sick of looking at it.  At 10:58 pm (one minute before deadline here in the Upper Midwest), I realized what the last line needed to be.  Frantically got the change done, double-checked my word count, and resubmitted with clumsy fingers and a pounding heart, thinking I'd gotten it in within milliseconds of the deadline-- but when the confirmation email came, it was time-stamped 11:01, so I'm assuming the resubmission will be rejected.  Why oh why couldn't my muse have come up with this idea literally two minutes sooner?  Ack.
thee_gray_lady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thee_gray_lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:23pm
Many pressure-induced mental breakdowns later.. it's done. And maybe terrible. Who cares? (It's me. I'm the one who cares.)
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by SFC SFC wrote:

Congrats to everyone who submitted, and for anyone still pushing in these last 45 minutes - YOU CAN DO IT! Clap

I feel... pretty  "eh" about my story (but I think I'm just sick of looking at it). I found myself wishing they had pushed a genre on me, since, when left to my own devices, I am extremely indecisive! Aha. My go-to genre is horror, but I really didn't want to write that in a final round submission Confused I am very glad to have gotten something done though, and for the first time ever, I didn't have to cut anything. It finished itself at 960 words! Now I'm concerned they'll tell me I could have given a little more detail using that leftover word count or something Wink

I do have a question - when I made it to the final round of the Short Story challenge, they requested that we enter what genre the story was when we submitted by using a drop down menu - I didn't notice that here. Is it always like that for Flash or did they get rid of it?

Good luck to all of you, and I can't wait to check out what you wrote! xx

Congrats on finishing strong! I never thought finishing with extra words left over would be such a difficult problem, but I feel like it consumed way more of my time and energy to choose what to put in vs what to cut.

I was in the flash fic final last year, and we did not have to put in the genre. :) So by my whopping two years' of data it's always been that way. Well done making the final round of the SSC last year btw!

Edited by taaaylor - 16 Dec 2019 at 5:01pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
ellynmfx View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ellynmfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

I submitted mine at about 2:30 in the afternoon, not because I was completely satisfied with it but because I was just that sick of looking at it.  At 10:58 pm (one minute before deadline here in the Upper Midwest), I realized what the last line needed to be.  Frantically got the change done, double-checked my word count, and resubmitted with clumsy fingers and a pounding heart, thinking I'd gotten it in within milliseconds of the deadline-- but when the confirmation email came, it was time-stamped 11:01, so I'm assuming the resubmission will be rejected.  Why oh why couldn't my muse have come up with this idea literally two minutes sooner?  Ack.

Ugh!!!! I feel your pain - that's awful!! Curse our slowpoke muses!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12