NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Literary agents & publishers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Literary agents & publishers
    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 11:06am
Just curious (and fantasizing a bit, I suppose) ... but do literary agents and/or publishers pay any attention to these contests?
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:19pm
Lol I doubt it 

Twerteen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twerteen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 1:38pm
Not according my stack of rejections. :(
davesaslav View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davesaslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 1:50pm
There are many publications who solicit manuscripts though.  

When you start doing well routinely, over several rounds of these pay-to-play contests, you definitely should start sending them out or self-publish an anthology.  

I've yet to move past the blog phase after ten years -- mostly because my success here has been sort of hit and miss. 
Dave Saslav
Great Falls, MT
Rd. 1, Group 44, Romance, yawning, "dream".....
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:23pm
I’ve had revised versions of three NYCM comp stories accepted by markets. All non-paying so far, but I know there are several who have had paying markets publish their pieces as well. Forum feedback is incredibly helpful in editing post-comp. 
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:09pm
So ... most likely, no one’s gonna call and say, “Hey, I noticed you got first place in round whatever of the microfiction challenge. Here’s an extensive contract with an ample advance so you can quit your day job and write full time!”?
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:05pm
No. Publishers and agents get more submissions than they could possibly read in a lifetime as it is. Check out the pictures in Misty Lackey's answer on Quora to "Do publishers really take 3 to 6 months to respond after receiving sample chapters?" https://www.quora.com/Do-publishers-really-take-3-6-months-to-respond-after-receiving-the-sample-chapters-and-synopsis

None of them NEED to troll for clients if they're legit and short fiction is even less worthwhile, since flash and "microfiction" in particular don't give any indication about ability to write a full-length novel and the sale value of an anthology from a total unknown is less than nothing. 

Winning or not here doesn't matter, either. Most contests like this are viewed as pay-to-play fee mills. The only unusual thing here is they seem to pay out to the winners. 

Personally, I don't even remember how many things I've submitted to how many places. I do know I can say for sure that the odds of getting on Jeopardy are better than selling a novel. 

Edited by jennifer.quail - 28 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Ckingteacher Ckingteacher wrote:

Just curious (and fantasizing a bit, I suppose) ... but do literary agents and/or publishers pay any attention to these contests?

Haha, first the section of the forum that we post the stories to is protected, so that only contestants can read them, no publisher would see them - if you were to win the contest then maybe one might be watching, but have never heard anyone say they were gifted in that way.
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I do know I can say for sure that the odds of getting on Jeopardy are better than selling a novel. 
In college, I was selected for Wheel of Fortune after a multi-step audition. Sadly, I graduated and moved without ever having gotten the call to fly out.
JeanlucPIc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanlucPIc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I do know I can say for sure that the odds of getting on Jeopardy are better than selling a novel. 

Only the cleverest of people will get your nuance. 
FF20 2, Group 125 The Devil and Pidot ne Mip
FF20 1 The Case of the Pilfered Plate (13pts)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>