NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Literally going insane over title selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laritybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Literally going insane over title selection
    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:19pm
How do you choose a title? I’ve been through no less than six that I was SO SURE were the perfect ones, only to hate them shortly after. How do you pick one? Any tips on what the judges would like/expect?
jbilyen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbilyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 10:02pm
I know what you mean! I'm an English teacher, and I often tell my students that their essay titles should relate to their topics (duh). I tell them that an easy way to make sure of this is to use only words found in the essay itself. I think the same can be said for fiction writing. I like my titles to come from lines/phrases in the story.

I also tell my students to not sweat it too much. Whatever you do don't call it "Micro fiction round 2 story" :) 
ADave411 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADave411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 10:11pm
I searched for puns relating to my story's topic.
All NYCM Entries
Instagram: @MrD_Reads
ksarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 8:35am
I do that, too, along with searching for idioms.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 11:53am
I have been known to save the file with the name as a random noun in the story I happened to be looking at, and ended up keeping it. Book-length things I've been know to to swipe quotes from famous poems. 
Paul Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:07pm
In a story this short, create a title that helps add clarity and also sounds cool as hell.
Saidinotherwords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saidinotherwords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:37pm
I opted for a title that would prime the reader to the mindset of the target audience. "X and the Y" generally evokes YA fiction, so there's no expectation for a complicated psychological character study. 
angelagilbert View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelagilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:43pm
I agree.  There have been a few times where the title just came to me and felt perfect.  This happened to be one of those times.  But more often than not, it's a super struggle.  I find titles to be either super easy or super difficult.  There is no in between
JamesMarkMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesMarkMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 4:30pm
I just used the first thing that popped into my head after each story was done, it hadn't really occurred to me that the title might impact the judging.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 8:39pm
I have to admit that I too used the absolute first title that popped into my head - and it shows, haha, I just had not a brain cell left at that point to come up with anything better! I kind of smirked as I chose it, because I knew I was making an iffy choice by using it. I mean, she did make an ill-fated choice. But it's not very clever as a title LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply