NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprises of the Evening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by sck5000 sck5000 wrote:

Originally posted by durden7 durden7 wrote:

It is an interesting way to make a point. It sort of insults you, then says something nice.

So conflicting!

It's clearly meant to augment the compliment by introducing it with this sort of contrary proviso -- this suggestion that the compliment means even more because it is not just given lightly from a friend or even someone neutral, but offered up from below by the grudging respect of an enemy.  And then when it comes out of nowhere as it did, apropos of nothing, it suggests the existence of something darker that none of us are even privvy to -- some long war that has been being meted out behind the scenes in messages between these two that the rest of us didn't even understand and now have to consider in a new light. Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script?

Using that many words isn't my favorite, but I can see where you're going with that.  Despite what Hairy might say about you, you're okay.
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
Game On -- Heat 10
sck5000 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sck5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:33pm

Thank you. You seem like a very nice man and many attractive girls like small penises.

ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance

This is a truly bizarre statement. Why on earth would you feel the need to preface this with "you're not one of my favorite people on here"? What did I ever do to you, Bear?

Hairy, I'm really touched that being one of my favorites means so much to you, perhaps we could do lunch.  In the meantime, please know that I  meant this as no insult.  I feel as though I have "clicked" with a few people on this site and these I would move into my "favorites" category (which means absolutely nothing to anyone but myself), certainly you will agree that you and I have not "clicked".  My "truly bizarre statement" was meant to convey that you and I have not "clicked"  and thus my opinion that your script should have advanced was based PURELY on the quality I obviously feel your script possessed.  (Rustom, whose script I also commented on, is one of my favorites.  See how that works?)

If you do feel as though you should be one of my favorites, then I suppose it would be insulting for me to say that you are not and I certainly appologize for that (though somehow I feel that this is not the case.)  Regardless, please forgive my statement, you are a truly talented writer with strong opinions, all of which I do not always agree with - but hey this ain't Iran - and I wish you the best.  (Oh, hell, my appologies to any Iranians out there, this is not meant to insult you, only to state the current policies of the sitting regime).

Man, let's see, so far I've offended Mormons, Hairy, the Iranian government, and that guy who cursed at me because I chastised him for encouraging the theft of software when it wasn't him but some other guy.  To recap, again I am sorry to everyone except for the Iranian government. 

Oh, yeah, and Rustom, the fact that you are "one of my favorites on this site" had nothing to do with my proclaimation that your script should have advanced, so please do not get offended by my having qualified you as such.

If I left anyone else out, my appoligies as well.

WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Edited by ABEAR111 - 15 Sep 2006 at 9:36am
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:37am
Originally posted by sck5000 sck5000 wrote:

Thank you. You seem like a very nice man and many attractive girls like small penises.

Could you post their phone numbers -- for a friend of mine.
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
Originally posted by sck5000Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script? 
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>[/QUOTE sck5000Christ Bear, why didn't you put this kind of sophisticated Machiavellian subtext into your script?

[/QUOTE wrote:

Believe me, if I knew what you were talking about I would have.

Edited by A

Believe me, if I knew what you were talking about I would have.
ABEAR111 - 15 Sep 2006 at 9:40am
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:51am

ABear111,

We're going to have start calling you "Mr. Controversy". Smile

Thanks for keeping the forums interesting.

Chris
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

ABear111,

We're going to have start calling you "Mr. Controversy". Smile

Thanks for keeping the forums interesting.

Chris

C'mon Chris, say it, I'm one of your favorites on here, aren't I?
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 11:08am
This thread gets funnier every hour I read it.
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Well, to add to this post - I felt that the following 5 could have easily won their heat:

Dead Beat
Princess Maggie
Fahrenheit 5'11"
Night Music
Operation Lollipop

I'm interested in other opinions on scripts that maybe should have or could have moved on... "Surprises of the Evening" took a strange turn toward small appendages.

Bill
Jerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 4:28pm
It's hard to tell without all the scripts at our disposal, but I was pretty certain that Night Music and Operation Lollipop would move on.

Jerry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>