NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprises of the Evening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:17am
Originally posted by J_Fox J_Fox wrote:

Mine would've required no FX at all. Assuming you found an actualy window that was a door to the fairy world. Surely there's one of those somewhere in NYC.

Watch the controversy!
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I

It's Abear111.  Watch it, Rusty, you're sliding down the list.
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

Post announcement bitchiness does not go well with forum etiquette guys. We need to really start slinging some good ole' mother earth premium grade manure at each other.

On a different note, I felt that a majority of scripts that won had a common element to them and that is actual production.

Most of them can be made easily and in a nominal budget and NYC midnight being a film making competition as well I think the judges have been looking at that factor real close too.

I think any of those shorts would be a good calling card for a fledgling director or film-maker.

Even the sci-fi ones can be done with affordable cgi and animation. Anyway, that is what i feel the others had the edge with.

What say you guys?

Oh! and Charlie a.k.a. Abear1111 I never knew that I was your favorite? Now I feel guilty for not living up to your expectations and not making past round one.

I felt that the judges realised I was laying down the comedy a bit too thick and the divorce was not as clear.

Honestly, when I first saw the results I was pissed, and had I not been on this forum all along I'd probably have just written it all off.  But after a little cooling period and inward thinking on the comments my script received from you guys, I know that I had problems with excessive exposition and bordered on political incorrectness, either of which are enough to keep me out of placing.  And you know what - this way I have learned two valuable lessons that would have been completely lost to me had I advanced.  I will definately take this with me, try to cut down on the exposition with everything I write and consider whether what I have written might be offensive in ways in which I had no intention of "creating controversy".

So, in the end, losing - with the script that I entered - has actually provided more value to me than winning would have.  And I have this forum to thank for it.

Okay, I'm getting off the soap box now.  Hairy, meet me behind the dumpster.
projectdan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projectdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 6:28am
I actually would be kind of okay about it if someone said I didn't deserve to move on or that my script was terrible.  Plenty of people gave me some hefty criticism when I originally posted my script and I was really glad to take it in stride and try to learn from their comments.  Plus, if someone said something completely disparaging without any attempt to qualify it, I probably wouldn't pay them much mind anyway.
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Well, to add to this post - I felt that the following 5 could have easily won their heat:

Dead Beat
Princess Maggie
Fahrenheit 5'11"
Night Music
Operation Lollipop

I'm interested in other opinions on scripts that maybe should have or could have moved on... "Surprises of the Evening" took a strange turn toward small appendages.

Bill

That's an interesting comment from a guy whose screen name is "Willie."
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
Game On -- Heat 10
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 7:57am
By no means am I saying any winner should not have won, the 5 that I mentioned I felt were equal to, and could have... "should have or could have" was a mistake on my part, and a bad choice of words.  I meant no offense or controversy.

There were many quality scripts that were posted, and I wouldn't want to choose which ones belong.  I enjoyed the process.  It was a good deal of fun.

Bill
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 8:11am
I appreciate the kudos on my script, but the truth is the top 2 scripts in my heat weren't posted. They may have both been stellar.
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 11:27am
Haha, I had a good laugh reading this thread.

Just got back from vacation, still reeling from not making the finals. Thanks to those who've name-dropped 'Operation Lollipop', I appreciate the sentiment but, deep down, I never really expected to make the cut this year.

I feel bad for not reading more of the scripts that were posted but, of those I've read, the following were my favourites:

Binky - I didn't read any others from this heat but I cannot believe this one didn't make the cut.

Arousing in Strange Housing - again, I don't think I read the competition but I thought this was better than my suspense script that made it through last year.

As for the suggestion that the judges have a budget in mind when picking the winners, I disagree. My script last year had a few locations, plenty of extras and a big explosion at the end. Hence, it got plenty of attention from producers, many of whom liked it but said they couldn't justify a budget like that for a 20 minute short.
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 12:03pm
'

Edited by ABEAR111 - 18 Sep 2006 at 12:04pm
Rainy Night View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainy Night Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

Haha, I had a good laugh reading this thread.

Just got back from vacation, still reeling from not making the finals. Thanks to those who've name-dropped 'Operation Lollipop', I appreciate the sentiment but, deep down, I never really expected to make the cut this year.

I feel bad for not reading more of the scripts that were posted but, of those I've read, the following were my favourites:

Binky - I didn't read any others from this heat but I cannot believe this one didn't make the cut.

Arousing in Strange Housing - again, I don't think I read the competition but I thought this was better than my suspense script that made it through last year.

As for the suggestion that the judges have a budget in mind when picking the winners, I disagree. My script last year had a few locations, plenty of extras and a big explosion at the end. Hence, it got plenty of attention from producers, many of whom liked it but said they couldn't justify a budget like that for a 20 minute short.

I thought Binky wasan excellent script also - I was sure that it would move on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>