NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprises of the Evening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sck5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:32am
It's clear to me that there were issues with the competence of the judges. I should not have placed at all.

On the other hand, maybe all the other entries in my heat were long, ranting manifestos, scripts refuting the plausibility of the Magic Bullet Theory, or disguised Teletubby episodes.

By the way, was it just me or did anyone else notice that the city of Toronto was over-represented in the runner-up lists. So there you go folks. Improve your chances next year, move up here. Enjoy our pseudo-European liberalism, free health care, and clearly superior scriptwriting environment.

Edited by sck5000 - 13 Sep 2006 at 9:36am
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

Interesting points.  There was a similar discussion in these forums last year after the online film contest.  It actually got quite heated.

I think the problem with your argument is this "everyone knows Rembrandy is better than Kinkaide".  I'm not saying I disagree, but there are simply no rules about stuff like that.  If I ask the guy I work with which movie is better "Citizen Kane" or "Old School" he will pick "Old School" in a second.  Is he wrong.  I think so, but that doesn't make me right.

I agree there were some odd choices in the finals.  I actually scored every film in the contest (for fun).  For the most part I agreed with the judges, yet there were some choices and omissions that I thought were bizarre.  However, that's what happens when people try to grade art.

Chris
Okay, so my example wasn't great, because "painting" is a pretty broad "genre" ... but I will admit OLD SCHOOL is a better comedy than CITIZEN KANE and since we were writing within specified genres, I think it's a little narrower than that.

I do understand that omissions occur. In my own heat the 2nd place script (1st runner up who advanced to the finals) appears to have used identity theft as "plagiarism". This suggests the judges don't know the meaning of the word! Plagiarism is the theft of words or ideas, not identity. Now the writer may have integrated plagiarism deftly into the narrative and left it out of the logline without hurting himself since the logline was only 10% of the score this year. I don't know. But it struck me as particularly odd.

The winning script in my heat sounds fantastic from the logline. If the story holds up to the logline I can see why that person won.
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
Rusty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:06am
I wanna read this one from heat 15, horror/tears.

C'mon Clark...

"Helpless"  -  Clark Kline (Frederick, MD, USA) - A limbless man in a basement can only listen as his mother is brutally attacked above.
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:53am
Loglines were worth 10%? I must have gotten a zero for that one. My logline was dull.

I'm bad at them.
Hairy Lime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairy Lime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:55am
And you still advanced. Bastard.
Heat 12 Romantic Comedy/Jury Duty - PLUSH
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 10:59am
Hahahahaha. Okay. I'm Laughing out loud.

Hairy Lime, that was a perfect post!

trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Hairy Lime Hairy Lime wrote:

That's why I said "egregious", Chris.

There were some choices that went far beyond personal preference and ventured into the realm of incompetence.

Everyone knows Rembrandt is a better painter than Thomas Kinkaide even if Kinkaide's paintings are popular these days (god knows why).

I totally agree with you, but let's fight about it.

Rambrendt is teh suxxor, dood!!!1!!one!  He never paints tiny houses!  Never!  kinkaide is all about the tiny house --that's real art, man!  get it straight periode end of story thats right i said it WHAT

(Did I do that correctly?)
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
Game On -- Heat 10
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by sck5000 sck5000 wrote:

It's clear to me that there were issues with the competence of the judges. I should not have placed at all.

On the other hand, maybe all the other entries in my heat were long, ranting manifestos, scripts refuting the plausibility of the Magic Bullet Theory, or disguised Teletubby episodes.

Don't be hatin' on the 'tubs, yo.
Doug
--
Let me have it! (Script reviews, that is.)
Game On -- Heat 10
Jerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Rusty Rusty wrote:

I wanna read this one from heat 15, horror/tears.

C'mon Clark...

"Helpless"  -  Clark Kline (Frederick, MD, USA) - A limbless man in a basement can only listen as his mother is brutally attacked above.

I want to read that one too, since it kicked my script's butt! (Binky)

Jerry

ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 4:13pm
Gotta say, Hairy you're not one of my favorite people on here but I'm blown away that your script did not advance and I was REALLY hoping the Cosmonauts would be in there too.  Chris, I think you took some chances that should have paid off, but you never know.  It's a tough business for just that reason, everything has to line up at just the right time for the magic to happen.  Keep it up and it will.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>