NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else like me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Ron414 Ron414 wrote:

...and has started hating their submission already? Not actually hating it, of course, but...you know what I mean.   Contest was fun, I had never done one with a ticking clock like this.  

I don't hate mine, technically, but it does not fit the genre (action/adventure) (I tried) and it's really not very good, just is ridiculous. The reason I don't hate it is because I've developed very low expectations for myself for screenplays, haha, and I am merely trying to improve my skills at plot. I don't expect a lot of points for this, if ANY, but I'll keep entering these, regardless, when the budget allows LOL

northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:09pm
I had fun with mine. But I spent way too much time changing one or two words, then changing them back, then changing them again. So I can’t really bear to read it over and over because I will question my decisions. 

I do feel like I’m learning about different genres and learning more about screenwriting, which was my goal in signing up. 

Good luck, everyone!

-Alex

Edited by northernwriter - 15 Oct 2019 at 7:11pm
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
I usually like everything I write for contests in the afterglow of actually finishing something.
It takes a few weeks, maybe a month for "I hate this and I hate myself for thinking it was good enough" to kick in.
Flash '23 Finals: Delicate Silk, Woven Strands
Short Screenplay '22 Finals: Without Music
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:51pm
I don’t tend to hate my piece after submission, but I definitely hate myself during the process! I get frustrated at how rusty I feel and how slowly the story is coming and how bad the first draft is. Lots and lots of editing time tends to make me feel better. Of the 20+ pieces I’ve written in the last year, most of for NYCM, I’ve loved maybe two and come to a point of acceptance for the rest.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Ron414 Ron414 wrote:

...and has started hating their submission already? Not actually hating it, of course, but...you know what I mean.   Contest was fun, I had never done one with a ticking clock like this.  

I never read it again until just before the results come out, I like the post contest high and don't like losing it.

bartelbysamsa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartelbysamsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:22am
I literally haven't read it through once yet as I wrote it in just under the last two hours of the competition. Probably won't look at it again until after the results come out. It's Schrodinger's screenplay - if I don't read it, I can't hate it!
haole View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:29am
This is the first screenplay I've submitted to NYC Midnight that I actually hated all through the process. Not once did I ever think I had a good idea or story.

I was thoroughly uninspired by the idea of a Suspense story that takes place on a Blimp. I don't know why, I just kept coming up with nothing interesting.

But I posted it for review anyway because why not.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by bartelbysamsa bartelbysamsa wrote:

I literally haven't read it through once yet as I wrote it in just under the last two hours of the competition. Probably won't look at it again until after the results come out. It's Schrodinger's screenplay - if I don't read it, I can't hate it!

But is it really there? Or did you delete it, leaving a blank document................
johnnypappas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnypappas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:50pm
Loved mine. I cut my teeth on doing the 48 Hour Film Project and related contests so this was similar.

Edited by johnnypappas - 16 Oct 2019 at 1:02pm
Microfiction 2021 C1 G93

Johnny Pappas
Johnnypappas.com
Imdb.me/johnnypappas
Monsoon sloon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsoon sloon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
I loathe mine too. I ended up in a existential loop of thought over my genre and panicked. It took a first draft of four different scripts before I was satisfied that it was ‘thriller’ enough not to be considered suspense, horror or what have you. 

But I’m glad I did it. The process of writing under constraints is more important than the competition any how... at least that’s what I tell myself... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>