NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy with your prompts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Ugh, not really. I’m Fairy Tale / a farm / a birdcage. Writing a fairy tale without the heavy prose is hard and I don’t have space for a narrator. Grr.

I’ve got the characters down but they keep falling in love and this is leaning dangerously into romance. Lol

Heatmate!! :)

I am outlining my idea now!

I scrapped mine and am starting over. My lovers won't stay away from each other! They will have to live in another story. Good luck and happy writing!!

Hmmm I think there's quite a fair overlap between fairy tale and romance. If you think about it, a lot of the fairy tale stuff is about finding true love...

Edited by Paula - 12 Oct 2019 at 3:20pm
Screenwriting 2023 R1 G8: DEVIL'S RISING
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Paula Paula wrote:

Hey, hey! Hope y'all doing well. It's been a while. Got exciting prompts this time: A Spy, a Coal Mine and butter (wonder what to do with that one). Need to come up with something fairly fast, as I am working on a longer feature atm...

That's funny, Spy in a Diamond Mine was one of the prompts for the most recent Flash challenge.  The powers that be must have a thing for Spy-mining.
Flash '23 Finals: Delicate Silk, Woven Strands
Short Screenplay '22 Finals: Without Music
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Sometimes, the obvious route is the best route... just add a couple unique spins on parts of it and roll with it. It sounds like you're overthinking things a bit.
Smile

Thanks - you're absolutely right.  I found an angle that worked for me and have finished a draft.  I don't think I love it but I don't hate it either.
Flash '23 Finals: Delicate Silk, Woven Strands
Short Screenplay '22 Finals: Without Music
kmachate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmachate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:48pm
I've never written this genre (Action/Adventure) as a whole before. My last short had some a/a elements but was not the main premise. I think I did OK, and was able to pretty easily incorporate the location & item although it really made me have to decide between one of three primary locations.

TheUsualSuspect View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUsualSuspect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Struggling to find an angle on battlefield as a location for a five page fantasy. Feels a bit epic or third-act

You and me both buddy. This will be my toughest one yet and it's only the first round!!!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by TheUsualSuspect TheUsualSuspect wrote:

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Struggling to find an angle on battlefield as a location for a five page fantasy. Feels a bit epic or third-act

You and me both buddy. This will be my toughest one yet and it's only the first round!!!

What if the battle happened ten centuries ago?  Still a battlefield...
This sig intentionally blank
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:16am

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I didn't do anything last night when I opened the prompt. Political Satire | A Shooting Range | A Pump.

I did spend some time this morning thinking about various political situations without thinking how they tied in with the required prompts.

And then I just noodled around a bit to come up with something. I got a draft of seven pages, which I've gradually cut down to five.

At least I have that. Now to work on the "screenplay" part of it.

This is my dream prompt!! Excited to see what you come up with!

I'm actually surprised at what I turned out. I think this is only my second or third political satire in the NYCM Vale of Creative Sorrow.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:26am

Still have never received Pol, and happy to never get it, though I have a story line for it set aside if it should ever befall me.

andromedae17 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andromedae17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:04am
Mystery is proving tough as anything to get into five pages. I started with a plan for what I realised would be a ten-pager at least. Thankfully I am worrying less about the location/item.
Snake1082 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake1082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:57am
I got Political Satire - Shooting Range - A Pump
Its the only thing that I really didn't want.
The struggle is real. :S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>