NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your writing white whale?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Every time I get my prompts I’m certain I won’t be able to write that genre. Then once I’m don’t and submitted I start to feel protective or my genre and prompts and certain I couldn’t have written anything else. 

Having said that, I’d rather not get ghost story or Fairytale, and I think mystery would be a challenge in 1k words. 

Edited by OnyxLily - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
charleycheval View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charleycheval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:24pm
So interesting to see what people want/don't want! 

I love historical fiction, drama and romances. Will not write down what I am afraid of!!
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:37pm
I actually keep a list of all 17 genres and what I've gotten over the years.  There are five I've never gotten yet, but I'm not going to say which one(s) I'm dreading.  And actually, some of the ones I *was dreading actually wound up turning out OK.  Three genres I desperately didn't want (RomCom, Action-Adventure, and Drama) actually prompted me to write some of my favorite stories, so there's really no predicting.  Anyway, here's my list:

1.    Action/Adventure – 2

2.    Comedy – 2

3.    Crime Caper – 2

4.    Drama – 1

5.    Fairy Tale -- 0

6.    Fantasy – 1

7.    Ghost Story – 1 (current)

8.    Historical Fiction – 1 (not finished or submitted)

9.    Horror – 2

10.  Mystery -- 0

11.  Political Satire -- 0

12.  Romance – 0

13.  Romantic Comedy – 2

14.  Sci-Fi -- 0

15.  Spy – 1 (not finished, not submitted)

16.  Suspense – 1 (this was my very first nycm challenge)

17.  Thriller – 1

ETA: I just now saw the "what genres have you gotten" thread.  Sorry I didn't post this there.  Whoops.

Edited by justmel - 12 Sep 2019 at 2:42pm
LMBird View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:44pm
I've only competed once before, a couple years ago.  I had political satire as my first one and dreaded it.  Took me three different stories to be half-way satisfied with what I'd written.  I really don't want to have to do one of those again.

Second challenge was drama, something much more up my ally.  But somehow I got a better score on my satire than my drama.  I chalk it up to some really, really good competition.

This year so far I've had Fairy Tale, which wasn't too bad.  I'm kind of neutral about that one.

I don't really want to have to do a crime caper or mystery.  I don't read those genres and am utterly unfamiliar with them.  And I probably just jinxed myself.
FF 2022 R1 G112 Do Unto Others
aslepian View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aslepian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:35pm
First round taught me a lot about sucking it up when you get a genre you dread (political satire) and honestly I had way more fun than I would have hoped!

I so dread fantasy or fairytale though. It is so far out of my wheelhouse and comfort zone.

I would love to try Sci-Fi and Historical Fiction though! Romantic Comedy could be fun too.
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:47pm
Romance and Rom Com are my greatest fears. I don't think I can build a compelling story in either.

Drama would be difficult also.

I feel like I at least understand  the other ones.
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
dang it, posted twice!

Edited by beadbalm - 12 Sep 2019 at 5:31pm
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by beadbalm beadbalm wrote:

Originally posted by Charlie72 Charlie72 wrote:

Originally posted by beadbalm beadbalm wrote:

Soo....I'll take whatever. Though I would appreciate if it wasn't set during a forest fire and include a mechanical bull. I'll pass on that.

Same, literally, same.  
But that said, I ended up loving what I did with those prompts (if a bit disappointed that the judges were a little less enthused) and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it.

This one was a little weird. More than before, I thought that the feedback was a bit simplistic. Who knows, could have been the end of a long day. Glad you enjoyed what you did - I liked it too. Keep it going!
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Charlie72 Charlie72 wrote:

Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

I loved your round 1 story and writing style. I agree that one of the best things about this competition has been getting pushed out of my comfort zone. I’m now way more comfortable with writing action/adventure scenes in my novel because I had some practice here. 

Thank you!  I loved your story too though I got the sense it wasn't as purely indicative of your style since you wrote it as a children's romp.  But I definitely had you down as one to root for and to check out what else you do!

Thanks! I'm actually writing a middle grade novel, so perhaps it is indicative of my style! (Though I saw you checked out my last screenplay and that one was definitely different.) Looking forward to being stretched in a new direction this weekend!
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
KLNorman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:26pm
I would love to get fairy tale/fantasy. I have never written one before but it’s one of my fave genres to read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>