NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your writing white whale?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Charlie72 Charlie72 wrote:

I tend to write drama, often with aspects of suspense or horror.
I’m looking forward to getting anything that’s outside of those three genres.  Maybe I’ll learn some skills I didn’t know I had?

I loved your round 1 story and writing style. I agree that one of the best things about this competition has been getting pushed out of my comfort zone. I’m now way more comfortable with writing action/adventure scenes in my novel because I had some practice here. 
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:21am
No way I'm writing it down, I'll get one of them for sure!  I will say that I really love historical fiction. I'll curse that one, because there are others I'm fond of as well. 
MF250 The Mother
250 MF RD.2 Hush Little Baby
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:22am
I'd kill to get the ghost story genre.  I've not written in it, but it just seems like it'd be fun!  I'd want to make it comedic.

I'm afraid to say what I wouldn't want because, you know, "thinking things into existence" and what not.
Hatter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:38am
There are some genres that I’m terrified of getting. I will not name them because that’s how they get you!
vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:47am
I would love to get a genre I haven't written before for NYCM over the years. So far I've done fantasy, scifi, historical fiction, romcom (wouldn't mind doing that one again though because it was terrible), mystery, drama, and thriller.

That said ... please not political satire.
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:52am
I'd love to get something I haven't done yet, except for political satire- so: ghost, horror, thriller, even spy...can't remember the rest off hand. LOL Comedy would be tough, too. 

looking forward to Friday midnight! Good luck to Group 49 on some good prompts!
G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
Sammayne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:10pm
I’d do awful things to get Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi is home to me. I’d be pretty happy with Fantasy, Horror, Fairytale or Polisat too. 

Just please NYCMN gods, don’t give me Drama. My writing is pretty reliant on bizzare, otherworldly or absurd things happening, and I just don’t feel like I could do that with Drama. I’d be so stuck. Wouldn’t really want Romance either for similar reasons, although I did draw RomCom for round one, and placed pretty well by writing about a guy who explodes so who knows?
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:27pm
I was so happy to get sci-fi last SS, but then overthought it so it didn't have the beautiful ending I had dreamed about. Still messing with that one. Anyway. Sometimes it's nice to get something you dread and then surprise yourself. I did not know I could write a romance last year without people running for buckets, but I did. Soo....I'll take whatever. Though I would appreciate if it wasn't set during a forest fire and include a mechanical bull. I'll pass on that.
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

I loved your round 1 story and writing style. I agree that one of the best things about this competition has been getting pushed out of my comfort zone. I’m now way more comfortable with writing action/adventure scenes in my novel because I had some practice here. 

Thank you!  I loved your story too though I got the sense it wasn't as purely indicative of your style since you wrote it as a children's romp.  But I definitely had you down as one to root for and to check out what else you do!
FF19 CH1 G6 We Don't Have Time
FF19 CH2 G6 The Megamolecular Diamond Destabilizer
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by beadbalm beadbalm wrote:

Soo....I'll take whatever. Though I would appreciate if it wasn't set during a forest fire and include a mechanical bull. I'll pass on that.

Same, literally, same.  
But that said, I ended up loving what I did with those prompts (if a bit disappointed that the judges were a little less enthused) and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>