NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your writing white whale?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your writing white whale?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:36am
Now that everyone has (probably) read the results from the first round, I guess we're all curiously awaiting our next prompts!

Is there a genre/object you've always wanted but never got? Or a prompt you coveted but didn't get?

Conversely, is there any genre that freaks you out above all else? I'm a Very Serious History PhD Student, and I'm absolutely positive I'd screw up historical fiction... but I'd love to try sci-fi Smile
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:44am
Let’s look at me this way.

What genre do I want the most? Crime Caper.

What genre do I fear I will get? Horror (no pun intended).

Crime Caper because I write mysteries as my writing hobby and would like to try something a bit different and the allowability to have humor on purpose.
Horror because I despise watching gore (it actually makes me vomit watching it), so I don’t think I could write it.
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
JeanlucPIc View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanlucPIc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:45am
I really want comedy. I swear to Jesus I am a funny guy! I have written very funny advertising in the past, but not a comedy story. But I think (hope) I could create a spectacularly oddball romp regardless of object or setting. 

Ghost Story was rough for me (though I managed 11 points somehow). It was so new and uncomfortable for me. 

And say NO to Historical Fickshun. I might quit if I get that. 
FF20 2, Group 125 The Devil and Pidot ne Mip
FF20 1 The Case of the Pilfered Plate (13pts)
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
I really want to try my hand at Sci-Fi. Honestly though, I’ve written like seven different genres for these comps and I’ve surprised myself with each of them. I’m open to all challenges. (She said, knowing full-well she has just doomed her group to receiving Drama or Historical Fiction tomorrow 😛)
louciferish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louciferish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:25am
The only genre I really never wanted to get was political satire.

I got it in round one. First try. Of course.

Even though I did pretty well, my nightmare is that I somehow draw political satire again in round 2. 

My ideal prompts would be scifi, fantasy, or horror. Hoping the writing gods will be kind to me.
FF19, R1, Everybody Wants to Rule the World (12pts)
R2, Nothing Good (10 pts)
R3, Painless
SLSingleton View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLSingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:32am
I've done the flash and short story a few times and only gotten ghost story, crime caper, comedy, fantasy, and political satire. I'd just like to try something new. I like the challenge. 

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by juliaro juliaro wrote:

Now that everyone has (probably) read the results from the first round, I guess we're all curiously awaiting our next prompts!

Is there a genre/object you've always wanted but never got? Or a prompt you coveted but didn't get?

Conversely, is there any genre that freaks you out above all else? I'm a Very Serious History PhD Student, and I'm absolutely positive I'd screw up historical fiction... but I'd love to try sci-fi Smile

I'll look at results before round three.  Until then they don't mean anything.

I'm really bad at anything romance-ish, mostly because I'm not that person.  Comedy is also hard; I can usually crack people up, but writing funny is more of a horror show.  Horror...actually any genre that relies heavily on emotional reactions because I'm basically the definition of flat aspect, hence all the dry, sarcastic humor.  Action/Adventure can be hard, simply because descriptions eat words at a prodigious rate (so I wrote it as drama; score is out there but I won't look at it).

Sci-Fi (is not a genre).  I grew up on that before I switched to hard science and history.  Pol-Sat, because nothing is easier than poking fun at the hypocrisy surrounding us and I can write it as sci-fi (is not a genre), Historical Fiction (is also not a genre), except it takes forever and nobody likes history, or at least not real history.  The sanitized version seems to be in now days (see pol-sat).  I'd like to try my hand at Mystery some day.  Solving problems is what I do, so I'm afraid I'll make it too obtuse, but that's not my problem.

I'm not afraid, or freaked out, at anything NYCM can throw at me. The prompts are what they are.

This sig intentionally blank
dennymike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:12am
I normally write romance/historical romance and historical fiction, but I entered this contest to challenge myself. I am pleased with my results for round one. I had fairy tale, so it really wasn't a stretch from my usual, but I did get some great feedback from the forums.

There's really not one in thing in particular that I am hoping for, but I am not convinced I would do well with political satire or mystery. Oh I'm usually the type to figure out the mystery well before the end of the book/movie, but I don't know that I could plan that. I admire those who can. Horror is also a little intimidating.

I am really looking forward to the next challenge, even though this is going to be a rough busy weekend for me, but with a full laptop battery and enough coffee I can do anything!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
I would love historical fiction or romance. Closest I've come is romcom.

As always, please God not polisat 

Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:23am
I tend to write drama, often with aspects of suspense or horror.
I’m looking forward to getting anything that’s outside of those three genres.  Maybe I’ll learn some skills I didn’t know I had?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>