NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Showtime014 Showtime014 wrote:

Does anyone share their feedback?  Just curious if there is a spot for that.

Bit of this and that, but most people add it to the first page of their story posts in the section above.
This sig intentionally blank
AuthorMaggieCannon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AuthorMaggieCannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:41pm
I got a POINT!!! I’m literally exploding with excitement and I got some terrific feedback! 
Microfiction entry:
TinyURL.com/MicrofictionFlappers

FlashFictionChallenge entry: https://tinyurl.com/y2aaw7ws
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

AAAAAH! I am SOOOOOOOO excited! I got 13 points! I seriously can barely breathe from my excitement! Thank you SO MUCH to all my beta readers and to everyone that reads, responds and offers feedback to my story posts. All of your feedback and suggestions are so valuable to me and I appreciate it so much. Aah I'm just so happy! Going to have happy dreams tonight. Now the pressure's on for challenge two haha.

Congratulations Christie! It was well deserved. Happy for ya’.
Screenwriting 2023 R1 G8: DEVIL'S RISING
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:37pm
I got a point too, and am so relieved and excited!

I like to read others' stories. Will read and comment as I can.

masonanddixon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masonanddixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by sinister sinister wrote:

Big ol' goose egg over here.  Judges can bite my shiny metal ass. Whatevs, I'll just have to up my game this weekend, assuming my prompts aren't absurd like "romantic horror, a broken stapler, the Gobi Desert" ;)

Romantic horror sounds pretty close to my story, lol
piedraven View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piedraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:14pm
I'm excited!  6 points plus the critique! Smile
Viktrune View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktrune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:27pm
I got 3 points, which wasn’t my goal, but I’m happy it worked out in the end and I got any points at all. I’m excited for the next round and should have more time to commit too it. 

Good luck to everyone in the round!!!
C1: G9, Suspense/Morgue/Remote Control; The Caldwell Dragon
ruthmac92 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruthmac92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:55pm
First time getting a zero in this competition... was pretty disappointed at first, and then confused because the judges had some great stuff to say about my story. But now I guess I can just have fun with the prompt this weekend.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:27pm
I got points (4 of them) which.. I'll take it. I'm going to go sell this story somewhere, and I'm working it into a much longer piece. I had such amazing feedback and so many kind words (and some good suggestions) from our fellow forumites and both my inner circle of writer's group members and wider audiences. I was told my story had rich and detailed world building and character development without sacrificing pace. I was told my story had a great twist. I was told I'd "nailed it" in terms of genre and story arc. I was told that it was a clear, easy read, and that even with the "fantasy" elements and names, it felt familiar and relevant.

The judges thought I needed more words and they flat-out didn't "get it."

And that leads me to an observation. After 5 years of participating in these contests multiple times per year, I've seen high-quality, well-written stories in specific genres (especially fantasy) suffer at the hands of judges who just "don't get it." In fact, a friend once received a comment that said, "I don't usually read fantasy and I don't really understand it."

So, 1) Why is NYCM allowing people who don't understand a genre to critique that genre? and 2) if they can't find enough qualified judges to critique a certain genre, why are they even requiring it?

Okay, I'm done pondering. I shall now go back to not giving any f---s about the judging and just enjoy my experience writing crazy stories on tight deadlines and then reading what everyone else produces. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910