NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dirty Secret About Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Perhaps they forgot it was that weekend, maybe some important life event came up -- heck, maybe they saw the prompt and thought, "I'm not writing historical fiction! No way!"  

Huh. I wouldn't fear a competitor who blew off a tough genre. 

Meg, don't post this. You'll jinx yourself and get political satire this weekend. Don't post it, Meg, don't post it.

I'm experiencing some inner conflict. Ermm

TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by amrvitale amrvitale wrote:

Dang. Didn't realize that half of a heat in round 1 would essentially score a 0...now I'm nervously watching my email. Hehe, thanks for the tip. I'm going to take my (probable) 0 score and just keep going in the challenge. I like having feedback, even if it's "you're not cut out for this" haha. Thanks again and good luck to everyone.
Don’t worry! I did it the first time last year. I got 3 whole points in the first try. Which was my goal. I just wanted 1 lousy point!
In the 2nd story, I got 10 points! Granted my genre might have been easier, but you never know. You may get your wheelhouse in the 2nd story!
Just do it!
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:03am
Last years Short Screenplay was even worse.  I think there were 10 genre where all the points were not given out.  Of those some were only 15 through 4.  I made a post about it at the time, there were many high scores that did not compete in the second round, or were disqualified, A couple of 15, and 14's and many with less scores.  I have never heard of anyone being disqualified before in any of the contests here.  I can understand not writing if you got something like SPY.

BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:11am
Not sure I'm going to bother.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:24am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

You have to! Your political satire was SO good!!!
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:26am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

You have to! Your political satire was SO good!!!

Apparently not! Zero pointer.

I'm literally questioning whether or not I can do this, so eh
Hatter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:36am
I realize there’s no definitive answer, but what is a typical combined score to advance?
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Hatter Hatter wrote:

I realize there’s no definitive answer, but what is a typical combined score to advance?

It's a huge range, all the way from 15 points at the low end (usually one or two people advance with that low) and 30 at the top (a handful get the max, usually less than 10).  It's rare, I think, to score 20 and not advance, although that happens every year in at least a few groups.  Bottom line, you score 21-22, and you're a safe bet to move on.
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:48am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

...some people didn't even write for challenge one!  Perhaps they forgot it was that weekend, maybe some important life event came up -- heck, maybe they saw the prompt and thought, "I'm not writing historical fiction! No way!"   

This was me last year, but it wasn't for lack of trying.  I drew Hist fic in Ch1 and Spy in Ch 2 (shoutout to Group 6).  In Ch1, I was paralyzed with anxiety (omgomgomg how can I do histfic in 48 hours this is impossible), but I managed to force out three pages before I bailed on the story a few hours before the deadline ("I HATE THIS, HALF OF IT IS FACTUALLY INACCURATE, IT HAS NO PLOT, AND THE DEADLINE IS 4 ½ HOURS OFF— I’M BOWING OUT, ADMITTING DEFEAT, BUH BYE").  In Ch2, I was less than a full page into it when I gave up ("THIS IS STUPID, ALL DIALOGUE, AND DUE IN TWO HOURS.  STOP FOOLING YOURSELF"). Anyone who winds up not submitting, for whatever reason, has my sympathy.  It happens.

vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:39am
I've not submitted twice, though both were in the screenwriting competitions. Both times, I just had no idea with the prompt and had already scored 0 in the first round. But I'm going to try and avoid that in the upcoming Short Screenplay competition, which I've decided to enter again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>