NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microfiction Contest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microfiction Contest!
    Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:21pm
So it looks like NYCM has created a new contest for Microfiction!!

From the website:
The 250-word Microfiction Challenge is a competition that challenges writers around the world to create very short stories (250 words max.) based on genre, action, and word assignments in 24 hours. In the 1st Round (October 4-5, 2019), writers are placed randomly in heats and are assigned a genre, action, and word assignment.  Writers have 24 hours to craft an original 250-word story (maximum) in their assigned genre, with the assignedaction taking place, and incorporating the assigned word.  The judges choose a top 10 in each heat to advance to the 2nd Round (November 22-23, 2019) where writers receive new assignments and again have 24 hours to craft original stories.  Judges select the top 5 writers in each heat from the 2nd Round to advance to the Final Round of the competition taking place January 10-11, 2020 where writers will receive their final assignment of the competition.  Feedback from the judges is provided for every submission and there are thousands in cash and prizes for the winners.  Sound like fun?  Join the competition below and get ready for October 4th!

Who's in?! I think I may check it out.
#amrevising
mimzee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mimzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:29pm
I thought I was done with these contests but hey, 24 hrs, 250 words, i can't resist, I'm in. The best part is that the first 24 hour cycle includes a Fri night when i have to attend a political fundraiser followed by a Saturday afternoon when i am hosting a Swing Left letter writing party from 1-5pm. So basically I will be rushing to try to write in about 6 hours total writing time (more if I stay up all night).
Autumn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:34pm
Wanted to do the last flash fiction, but timing wouldn't fit with my schedule Giving this micro-fiction one a go!
darciekelly View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darciekelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
Yes! This new challenge is right down my alley!! I've done 1000 word challenges (Flash) and 500 word challenges (Tidbits and Furious) so this 250 word short story challenge feels like an obvious next step! (Though, some day I'll have to finish a full length book ...)
EricM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EricM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:49pm
I saw this on FB today, and I see the price is cheaper than it is for the Flash Fiction contest, but for me, getting two guaranteed rounds of participation/judging/feedback was the real draw for the FF contest.

$25 to write a 250-word story, with the overwhelming likelihood of it ending there doesn't seem as enticing to me.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:07pm
Did I hear a bell ringing?

In.  Of course.
This sig intentionally blank
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:10pm
Got my email last night from pidgeonholes magazine that I didn't make the longlist.

That hurt. 

So hell yes I signed up today for NYCM Micro Competition. 

Keep stoking the fire, yknow?
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:29pm
I’m so down. Last week I got an email forward from a magazine I’d previously published in looking for 350-500 word stories for the next issue and I didn’t have anything near that short to submit. Looking forward to it, and not AT ALL addicted. 😛
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:50pm
I’m in - couldn’t help myself :-p
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:22pm
In!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>