NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Michellecrystal Michellecrystal wrote:

You’re hilarious! I wish you the best of luck! Is 15 points the highest you can get?

We're a bunch of comedians! LOL

Fifteen is the highest you can get, yes; but when you factor in the second part of this round (happening this upcoming weekend), you could in theory get fifteen for both stories and max out at thirty. (I've only experienced this in my dreams.) But for the results tonight, yeah, fifteen means you took first in your group!! Woo hoo!! 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:04pm
Oh, hey! Let's all play a game tonight called Strength. Here's how you play: 

1. Get a stopwatch, timer, or timepiece. 
  2. Wait for the results to show up via the email to your inbox. 
  3. Challenge yourself to see how long you can wait without checking the results (including on the forum, word of mouth, etc.) 
  4. Report back, and we will praise you!! Clap
I'd wager no one lasts more than five seconds. 
DementdUnicorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DementdUnicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 6:34pm
Thank you ~ most helpful for this newbie. Best Luck to all 🍀
ImprintedPrincess View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImprintedPrincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:00pm
I'm kind of freaking out now. I was given the worst genre possible (political satire), and I just saw somebody else's post on here about how it's supposed to be comedic. I never saw that in the genre description, and my story isn't funny at all! It's satirical, but doesn't really possess elements of humor. Hope to God I didn't blow it. Unhappy
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:09pm
I've got a drinking game: Drink every time you impulsively check your email between now and midnight just IN CASE they somehow release the scores early.

I died of alcohol poisoning around noon.  :)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by ImprintedPrincess ImprintedPrincess wrote:

I'm kind of freaking out now. I was given the worst genre possible (political satire), and I just saw somebody else's post on here about how it's supposed to be comedic. I never saw that in the genre description, and my story isn't funny at all! It's satirical, but doesn't really possess elements of humor. Hope to God I didn't blow it. Unhappy

If that's all that's freaking you out life is good.  Take a breath and don't worry about it; someone else can worry about what the genre definitions mean.

On the other hand if you're freaking out because your satire wasn't funny AND the Grue is about to eat you then by all means continue freaking.
This sig intentionally blank
jpronovost523 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpronovost523 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:51pm
Five hours to go! I'm really excited about the results, but at the same time I'm looking forward to sleep soon- the struggle is real! 
mallorysuzanne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mallorysuzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Trond24 Trond24 wrote:

>>On the other hand if I get a zero the heat is off because there's no third round at that point, and I can write whatever I want on the weekend.

Cue the "every contest, there are a couple people who do make it into round 2 by scoring a 15 on challenge 2, even if they got a zero on challenge 1."

:-)

I’m one of those people! It happened during my first competition! It can happen to anyone!
CH2 GR44 The Plan
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ImprintedPrincess ImprintedPrincess wrote:

Satire definitely doesn't need to be comedic. One of the examples they give is 1984.

That being said, I remember a judge in this year's SSC disagreeing with that, but I believe a complaint was made about that, so that shouldn't happen again.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
JimmieBJr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimmieBJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
Am I the only person in this whole contest who completely forgot there'd be a second round until about Monday when their boss came in and said, "Are you ready to compete this weekend?"

And they replied (hypothetically, of course), "Compete?"

And their boss looked at them much like King Solomon might have looked at the champion of the Most Idiotest Village Idiotlympics and said, "Your writing contest? The one you couldn't stop talking about a few weeks ago?"

And the person in question, who is most definitely not me, no sirree, not even the tiniest bit, said "HOLY CRAP IS THAT THIS WEEKEND???"

Might something similar have happened to anyone else?

Asking for a friend. Who is an Idiotlympic Gold Medalist.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>