NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 is soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nehasrivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:13am
Thanks! That was helpful
Nehasrivi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nehasrivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:17am
Dads are so very precious. Mine was my biggest critique and biggest supporter. Will be doing a story without his opinion for the first time, this round. very lost without him 
Twerteen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twerteen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 3:01pm
I"m both excited and terrified to get my next prompt! And looking forward to feedback! 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Judy Judy wrote:

Round one results on Wednesday? After not thinking about this competition in a while, I feel suddenly queasy. How does anyone psych themselves up for Friday if they get shredded on Wednesday?

If anyone here is willing to be a beta reader, please send me a message. I didn’t have any in the first challenge and it really shows.

I give serious thought to not looking at the scores on Wednesday because they don't actually matter in terms of whether or not I need to write something on Saturday.  On the other hand if I get a zero the heat is off because there's no third round at that point, and I can write whatever I want on the weekend. 

Come to think of it, writing whatever I want sounds good no matter what happened on Wednesday...I might ignore those results after all.
This sig intentionally blank
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:44pm
>>On the other hand if I get a zero the heat is off because there's no third round at that point, and I can write whatever I want on the weekend.

Cue the "every contest, there are a couple people who do make it into round 2 by scoring a 15 on challenge 2, even if they got a zero on challenge 1."

:-)
"Every time I think I've seen it all, a person comes along and objects to the mistreatment of rubber chickens."
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
I haven't done this NYC Midnight challenge before, so have no idea how the scoring is done and what it would take for the second round to be useful or not in the further rounds. 

Really was intrigued by the event for a few years and finally remembered this year to actually enter. I know that styles and tastes differ so not too concerned about what the judges say. They will either like my writing or they won't. What I will appreciate is seeing what they say and adding it to things I consider when writing.

I entered to stretch myself with the limits, by being forced to get out of my comfort zone. and forced by the money on the line to actually WRITE.

I wish everyone the best of luck, no matter how the judging works, because I have read many very fine stories in the forum, during the past few weeks .

calksb
I like to read others' stories. Will read and comment as I can.

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Trond24 Trond24 wrote:

>>On the other hand if I get a zero the heat is off because there's no third round at that point, and I can write whatever I want on the weekend.

Cue the "every contest, there are a couple people who do make it into round 2 by scoring a 15 on challenge 2, even if they got a zero on challenge 1."

:-)

Yeah yeah.

On my list of Clifton Strengths (the CEO where I work is really big on personality tests so the management team will understand themselves, and in theory (at least) be better able to understand their employees) 'Competition' is 17th out of 34.  These things don't get me too wound up.

At the end of the day I write for me.  That's part of my section of the DSM, though, and a completely different topic.
This sig intentionally blank
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:31pm
I had a baby in between challenge 1 & 2, so I'm excited to see how extreme sleep deprivation affects my writing style. Big smile
FF22R1: Stories

SS22R3: Mystery
calksb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calksb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:40pm
@crumhorn

you win!

calksb
I like to read others' stories. Will read and comment as I can.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Nehasrivi Nehasrivi wrote:

Dads are so very precious. Mine was my biggest critique and biggest supporter. Will be doing a story without his opinion for the first time, this round. very lost without him 

I'm so sorry for your loss. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>