NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt Generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prompt Generator
    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:06pm
hey all - 
I created a google doc spreadsheet that takes the prompt inputs from this latest round of flash, and spits out a new prompt.  I made it as a challenge to myself — “if I got these prompts, what would I do?” but I made each item random so I wouldn’t be influenced by prompt sets that I’d seen already.  And I actually took one of them and wrote a story, a fairy tale set at a flower show featuring a dart.
I was wondering if, one, is this something else anyone else would be interested in using, and two, could there be any contest-related negative consequences to posting this that I’m not considering? (Like, I dunno, NYCM claiming these are proprietary or something?). Certainly don’t want to get in trouble but I’ve had some fun with this and thought I’d try sharing.
-Charlie
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:12pm
Last year about a dozen of us did between rounds flash. Someone drew one of the prompt sets each weekend and whoever wanted did a flash. We posted them and sort of mini-critiqued. It was great practice. No one complained or cried foul.
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 11:41pm
Can I also recommend Furious Fiction. It's a monthly competition that is free to enter.

It's not a strong replicator of the NYCM prompt style. It's 500 words and the prompts are far more varied than genre-location-object. But still, it's a good way to practice telling small stories in a small amount of time (55 hours).

1000 words feels luxurious when you've been writing in 500.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

Can I also recommend Furious Fiction. It's a monthly competition that is free to enter.

I’ll check that out!  I’ve always been intrigued by micro (or micro-ish) fiction and after decades of mostly just rewriting and revising the same material, I’m really interested in challenging myself right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply