Poll Question: Would you prefer for the Master Lists:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
28 [84.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:52am
Suave, I am curious why you are so against having it listed in a Google doc? I honestly think it's more efficient and removes the possibility of it crashing and losing everything.

Also, the forum has not been the same since it went all wonky last month. The character limits seem to be lower than they were before. So two lists probably wouldn't work anymore!
#amrevising
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:02am
Hey Steph,

It is not that I am so against listing it off site, but in the questions and answers section someone was asking about sharing others work without asking and I am wondering if someone gives out the google link will people be able to access the stories from the google site?

I think either of my solutions, both will keep everything in the protected zone, will work no problem, I think having a separate section for asking to be listed and another for the actual master list where people can be asked not to post any replies will work the best and is I think what I am going to use come Short Story time again.  We may be able to make the Master list so that people can't add replies rather than just asking them not to.

Edited by Suave - 06 Aug 2019 at 7:05am
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:11am
The links would still bring people back to the forum post, not directly to the person's story! So I think we would be okay on that front! Even with a direct link, you still need to log-in before being able to view anything in the private part of the forum!

And I bet Charlie would be able to give you the power to eliminate comments! Because we both know how people have a hard time following directions...haha!
#amrevising
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:21am

Suave - This is actually a new problem and has nothing to do with the number of replies on a post. It has to do with a lowered character limit allowed in the body of the original post. (We know this because Steph and I both tried pre-populating Master List templates with titles from the "Titles & Synopsis" thread and had post length limitations, long before there were any replies.) 

This is a new issue since they reset the forums after they crashed at the beginning of this challenge. Whatever they did to "fix" the sever, lowered the character limit.

In this proposed work around, you would only be able to access the gdoc from the closed forum and the links in the doc take you back to the closed forum to the story threads (not stories themselves), just like the current system. I tested it and if you are not logged into the forum the links redirect you to a "you don't have access" page and requests you to log in. The security is no different than posting a Master List in the forum.

Edited by ChillyToez - 06 Aug 2019 at 7:44am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:33am
The replies to the post is what makes it so large and the forum gets finicky, that and having thousands of people wanting to access it at once.  The forum going down is not a new thing.

As soon as I re-posted the master list in a new post the problem went away - well not completely, I had some posts that just would not link to the forum and had to get the poster to re-post their story and send me that link.  The forum goes through stages.  But I am sure that my way will work fine, that is what I am banking on anyway.  With the master list separate from the where the formites list their stories for addition to the master list it will work good - anytime something goes blooie just start a new comments post and continue on - separating the two is the way to go.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:40am
Suave - I'm not sure you are hearing what I am saying. The problem existed BEFORE there were any replies. This issue had nothing to do with the number of replies on the post but the total content of the original post. 

I just tested it by trying to create a new post with all the 61-125 links in it and get a 503 error. It will not allow you to create a new topic if the content is beyond a certain length. I think you are banking on your personal experience without recognizing this is a new issue.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:55am
The key security issue for me is leaking any details of our published name or the story title.

I can see that the round trip is fairly secure:
  1. Post a forum post (which is behind the forum login) w/ your story title and link to your story on your hosted site (ex: Google Docs). This is the same as right now.
  2. Post a link/reply to your forum post in the Master List of stories' forum post, which is behind the forum login, so that the Keepers of the Scroll can update the Google Sheets list. This is similar to right now, except the list of forum links is offsite and not behind the forum. BUT this is similar to the current state right now if you post a link to your forum post in your signature, which appears on every post, public or behind a forum. It still has the same security issue as the forum posts--it's possible to create an account that's not tied to your NYCM account. (I don't think your NYCM account and your forum post are linked or verified right now.)
  3. Post a link to the Google Sheets list with the link to your forum post. This is similar to right now, and it keeps the "true" link behind the forum login security.
The opportunity for mischief is only slightly higher. One thing that might help is if the story links in Google Sheets don't reference the actual story title.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:04am
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Suave - I'm not sure you are hearing what I am saying. The problem existed BEFORE there were any replies. This issue had nothing to do with the number of replies on the post but the total content of the original post. 

I just tested it by trying to create a new post with all the 61-125 links in it and get a 503 error. It will not allow you to create a new topic if the content is beyond a certain length. I think you are banking on your personal experience without recognizing this is a new issue.

Ok, I just made a copy of my 1-50 master list from the short story and posted it under test in the short story forum section and it is still there for you to take a look at.  I had no problem posting it.  As I said the forum sort of goes here and there.  So work arounds will work.

Edited by Suave - 07 Aug 2019 at 5:10am
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:07am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

The key security issue for me is leaking any details of our published name or the story title. 

The opportunity for mischief is only slightly higher. One thing that might help is if the story links in Google Sheets don't reference the actual story title. 

Actually no different than now since people post in the Title & Synopsis thread in the open part of the forum....
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Just tried copying your 61-125 and got a 500 error, I am wondering what the platform you made the list on?  I used word.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>