Poll Question: Would you prefer for the Master Lists:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
28 [84.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:53am
Maybe it's just me, but I would not share my work if we're linking it externally
Read my 1st Round 250-word story Emergency Meeting
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:55am
Originally posted by haole haole wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I would not share my work if we're linking it externally

You would not be linking it externally. The links would go to the closed forum posts, just like the ML does now. There would be no way for someone not signed up for the forum to access your work.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by haole haole wrote:

I too don't like the thought of the external link, but they are right about the needing to be signed into the forum in order to go to a story.

If they try this I will watch and see how things go, but pretty sure I will do the Short Story Contest the same way I have done it in years previous - all in the protected area of the forum.  I just have not found it that difficult.  they seem to have had a pretty hard time of it this time around.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:40am
Posted something that read somewhat snarky. 

Delete. Delete.

More coffee. Apologies. Nothing to see here.

Edited by ChillyToez - 09 Aug 2019 at 8:46am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:09am
What if the google doc listed everyone's story by screen name rather than by title? I.e.: 

Group 43: a dominatrix, a leather whip, a seedy tattoo parlor
Chillytoez' story [with a link built in]
Suave's story
Steph's story

Here's the benefit: we can still find our friends' and fellow groupmates' stories, but "hackers" won't know who any of those names even refer to, so they'd be less likely to get far. For example, they'd be unable to do a google search for a particular story name, like "Why I love the peace sign on my a**," or whatever. As an added precaution, we could enourage password protection usage among our google docs, with the password being in the protected forum. Smile
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Edited by Zelda - 09 Aug 2019 at 9:20am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:12am
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Posted something that read somewhat snarky. 

Delete. Delete.

More coffee. Apologies. Nothing to see here.

It happens to all of us at sometime. 
Just so that you know, I don't think that anything has been done wrong, only that the forum did not like whatever it was, it can be like that.  For what it is worth I have only been giving a view and possible remedies, not criticizing anyone or what has been done.  Obviously both of you have done everything you could to make it happen and it has, but you asked a question when you started this post.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

but you asked a question when you started this post.

Correct, I did & I'm not trying to shut that down at all! My intention with the OP was to start a dialogue so that collectively we might come up with a way to improve the UX in a way that everyone could be comfortable within a forum that is quirky at best.  (or as many people as possible, since it's pretty much impossible to please everyone all the time)

The edited post above was a knee jerk reaction to something I read, then decided perhaps it wasn't intended as I perceived it. I did not want to be adversarial, so I deleted the comment. That's all. Big smile

Edited by ChillyToez - 09 Aug 2019 at 10:25am
vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:35pm
My story itself is always in Google Docs already, so I'm not particularly worried about security. But maybe an opt in/opt out process for the master list is necessary for people who are. Like if you don't leave a comment on the Master list post, your story won't be added?

Of course, it's possible that opting out may decrease the number of people who read your story - I know I always use the master list to find my group mates because I find it fascinating how the same prompt always leads to such different stories.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by vkmartin vkmartin wrote:

My story itself is always in Google Docs already, so I'm not particularly worried about security. But maybe an opt in/opt out process for the master list is necessary for people who are. Like if you don't leave a comment on the Master list post, your story won't be added?

Of course, it's possible that opting out may decrease the number of people who read your story - I know I always use the master list to find my group mates because I find it fascinating how the same prompt always leads to such different stories.

I think we decided to struggle through using the old method for now... I have had a small handful of people contact me to say that if the ML was in a Gdoc they would not post their story at all. I don't want anyone to miss out on the best (IMO) part of this comp because of this... 

Hopefully some of the technical issues the forums had last round will be ironed out next week. *flippers crossed*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345