NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone for the 3 Day?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akirchoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:56am
I've been working on a novel for like six months, it's hard to imagine writing one in 3 days! Especially if I had to work those days. 
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:54pm
Sounds like a lot of fun but I have to build up to it for sure. These 1000 weekend competitions are stressful enough for me right now haha. I'm saving the link though, because I'm sure there'll be a time when I feel up to it. :-) Thanks for sharing.
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Noiryn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noiryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:00pm
I was tempted, but sadly I don't think my schedule would let me participate. :/ 
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:11pm
Ha ha, this sounds mental!! 
I don't think my work schedule will let me do it but it sounds like a mad blast! Enjoy!  Tongue
S.L. Hill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.L. Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
this is incredibly tempting to me but I am also terrified 
FFC R1 G21 One Sweet Getaway
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:11pm
I looked them up on FB, and they have a really bad reputation for months'-long radio silence. Last year, they claimed they'd announce the short list in October. They never got around to it until this past June. And people have complained that they never answer emails, which I too can attest to, because I sent them an email asking a few questions (like, what if you're in a different time zone?), and they've never answered. (It's been a few weeks.) I'm thinking I'm not going to do this competition. Smile (I'm still adding an emoji because my posts glitch otherwise... smiles all around!) 
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:39pm
Can't disagree with anything Zelda said, but will add that it is incredibly fun and I have been doing it for ten years+. Despite the frustrations the last couple years, I'll be back at it Labor Day weekend. The adrenalin rush and sense of accomplishment when you finish a novel in three days is probably akin to what a marathon runner feels crossing the finish line.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by catrad catrad wrote:

Can't disagree with anything Zelda said, but will add that it is incredibly fun and I have been doing it for ten years+. Despite the frustrations the last couple years, I'll be back at it Labor Day weekend. The adrenalin rush and sense of accomplishment when you finish a novel in three days is probably akin to what a marathon runner feels crossing the finish line.

We'll cheer you on!! Clap Woo hoo!

Has it ever caused you writer's burnout? That's another concern I have. 
catrad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Has it ever caused you writer's burnout? That's another concern I have. 

Actually, the opposite. It's like a writing recharge (at least for me). The ideas start flowing, and I get jazzed up about writing. There are moments of despair along the way, but working under a deadline, forces you to push through and keep going. Also chocolate helps. And coffee.

When I emerge after, I can tell by people's expressions, that I am totally insane and people are not sure whether to back quietly away, or run screaming.... But that after-writing euphoria makes it worth potential commitment.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:37pm
Hey, guys, I want to take back what I said about the 3-day novel people. They replied to my email today, apologized for the delay, and answered my questions in a nice manner. Woo hoo.... I think I'm going to do this!! I must outline, I must ouline. (I accidentally typed "outlive".... yeah, I hope we all survive it!) Great luck to all who participate!! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>