NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hidden nuggets in your story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:17pm
I usually put something just to please me in every story that I write. I thought the one this round was obvious, but no one has mentioned it. Don’t feel obligated to read my story to find out because I may not return reviews promptly until after Oct 2. I’m caught up now so I might, but don’t know for sure. But PM me if you glance over the story and just want to know. Maybe if you know something is there, you will find it and not just read over it. 
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by woodpijn woodpijn wrote:

@mhelgens

So I titled my story The Soles That Survive, and so many people on the forums complimented my word play with the reference to the shoes. But one of my judges thought it was just a typo and proceeded to explain to me the difference between “souls” and “soles.” 

Argh, how incredibly frustrating!
That's quite discouraging to read, as a newbie to this competition.
(note to self: remember to spoonfeed the judges and spell things out for them clearly)

I had a similar experience one year in R1 of the SSC.  My character prompt was "housekeeper," and I titled the story The House Keeper (two words) because at the end of it, the housekeeper winds up . . . KEEPING THE HOUSE (as in, its owners die, and she inherits it).

The judges hated it--it went right over their heads.  My lack of originality was a major point in their feedback.  Sigh.
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Originally posted by woodpijn woodpijn wrote:

@mhelgens

So I titled my story The Soles That Survive, and so many people on the forums complimented my word play with the reference to the shoes. But one of my judges thought it was just a typo and proceeded to explain to me the difference between “souls” and “soles.” 

Argh, how incredibly frustrating!
That's quite discouraging to read, as a newbie to this competition.
(note to self: remember to spoonfeed the judges and spell things out for them clearly)

I had a similar experience one year in R1 of the SSC.  My character prompt was "housekeeper," and I titled the story The House Keeper (two words) because at the end of it, the housekeeper winds up . . . KEEPING THE HOUSE (as in, its owners die, and she inherits it).

The judges hated it--it went right over their heads.  My lack of originality was a major point in their feedback.  Sigh.

Clever! My title this time might not work for them either. It’s called “Working My Way Back to You” which makes sense but seems unoriginal if you don’t recognize it as the title of a song by The Four Seasons, who play a role in the story. I’m sure nobody will catch it, but I’m hopeful they don’t choose to hate on my title too hard. I should have learned my lesson. Bummer.
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
Helou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:45am
The title of my second round story 'The Grapevine' is meant to represent a few things: a vine that grows on the house in the story, the idea that the characters all find out about each other's vices and perpetuate them (like hearing rumours on a grapevine), and also a reference to the MC's alcoholism, because wine comes from grapes which grow on a vine. Obviously.

In hindsight I don't think it's nearly as clever or easy to understand as I did when I came up with it. At the time I was so excited thinking I'd come up with the perfect name, but now so many better ideas come to mind - oh well! Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456