NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Challenge #2 Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Challenge #2 Genres
    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
I am very curious about how the genres will be assigned for the second challenge... 

Do they try to give each group a completely different genre from challenge 1? 

Or is it completely random and by the luck of the draw you could end up with two quite similar genres?

I would love to know your experience in previous years. Thanks! Smile
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
It's random. Just by sheer numbers, the odds are you won't end up with the same one twice in a row, but there's no guarantee you won't have thriller the first round and suspense the next. 
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:22am
Random....

I got ghost twice on the bounce in the screenplay challenge last year.
No guarantees at all.

Good luck in Round 2!

P x

ETA: Just realised actually I got Ghost story twice on the bounce in the screenwriting challenge both this year and last:

SSC 18 R1 Thriller, R2, Comedy, R3 Open
SWC 18 R1 Ghost, R2 Ghost
FFC 18 R1 Romance, R2 Political Satire
SSPC 18 R1 Horror, R2, Historical Fiction, R3 Horror

SSC 19 R1 Political Satire
SWC 19 R1 Ghost, R2 Ghost

FF 19 R1 Crime Caper

Edited by NYCNewbie - 28 Jul 2019 at 10:27am
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by NYCNewbie NYCNewbie wrote:

Random....

No guarantees at all.

What?  I didn't do it!  Lisa made me!
This sig intentionally blank
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Random....

No guarantees at all.

I was HOPING you'd bite!
kodanie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodanie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:48am
I had ghost story for rounds 2 and 3 my first year, so it's possible!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:52am

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Random....

No guarantees at all.

I was HOPING you'd bite!

For someone as awesome as you?  Anything!
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 3:13am
Flash rounds one and two are a little different though, because we stay in the same group, right? So surely the NYCM pixies would make sure no group gets the exact same genre for both rounds? Like, you could end up with thriller and suspense, but hopefully they’d fix it so you didn’t get the exact same thing?
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Flash rounds one and two are a little different though, because we stay in the same group, right? So surely the NYCM pixies would make sure no group gets the exact same genre for both rounds? Like, you could end up with thriller and suspense, but hopefully they’d fix it so you didn’t get the exact same thing?

It’s an interesting question.  From a mathematical fairness standpoint, I don’t think they have to, but from making it FEEL fair, and fun, it might be worth it for them to add that extra step.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Charlie72 Charlie72 wrote:

Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

It’s an interesting question.  From a mathematical fairness standpoint, I don’t think they have to, but from making it FEEL fair, and fun, it might be worth it for them to add that extra step.

That would complicate the algorithm, though writing it to prevent two sequentially similar results wouldn't be that hard.

Though 'fair' would mean I get more Sci-Fi than I've seen.  I picked up my mother's Heinlein when I was eight and was a major consumer of the genre for the next thirty years.  Of course Nixie and I are going to disagree about the limits of said genre, but we are going to disagree like adults over a glass of wine (or tea, or coffee) and enjoy the conversation. 

I'm due for another trip to Seattle soon and there's a whole bunch of people on this board I would love to sit down and chat with.  Might have to see what I can put together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>