NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite short story writers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 5:15am
Raymond Carver just blows my mind.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Raymond Carver just blows my mind.
Oh, duh, how could I have forgotten Raymond Carver?! What a master.
Charlie72 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 8:29am
I used to be a big fan of Lorrie Moore.  I say used to because I haven’t revisited her in so long that maybe I’d feel different now.

Back in the 90s I read a lot of Carver and Ann Beattie but between the two of them I can only remember one story. (A Small Good Thing, Carver).
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:00am
Forgot to mention Gunnhild Oyehaug, Ted Chiang, and Junot Diaz (even though he's problematic now)
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:15am
Hawthorne, Melville, and Ursula LeGuin come immediately to mind. Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Alice Munro. Jhumpa Lahiri. Also Shirley Jackson, Flannery O'Connor, John Steinbeck, and Raymond Carver ("Cathedral" is my favorite of his), but I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 10:43am
Its Borges all the way for me. 

Labyrinths is a classic book of short stories. Also anything translated by Norman Giovani (Borges' favourite translator who lived with him for many years) mostly out of print sadly. 

In terms of individual stories, 'The Library of Babel' is horrific in its strangeness. 'The Garden of Forking paths' is mind blowing. The House of Asterion is tragically beautiful, and The Circular Ruins is a surreal and mind expanding delight. 

If you've never read Borges: Read Borges. 
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 12:09pm
All Bradbury all the time. 

Modern favorites are Chiang and Proulx but you cannot beat Ray Bradbury for political satire, sci fi, drama, thriller, suspense...

Growing up I devoured the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen, which probably gave me an appetite for darker fare. I also loved reading collections of short plays when I was a kid.

Edited by manifestlynot - 26 Jul 2019 at 12:11pm
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 6:16pm
I know it’s not a literary choice, but I love Stephen King’s short stories.  That guy’s imagination is unbelievable, and he comes up with some flat-out genius concepts.  I like his short fiction much more than his novels, which all tend to collapse in the last 50 pages.

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Nehasrivi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nehasrivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 10:45pm
Absolutely love Rabindranath Tagore’s stories. Especially ‘Kabuliwala’. Written in 1892 or so...but his thoughts are so contemporary.
 O. Henry’s ‘Gift of the Magi and W.W Jacobs ‘The Monkey Paw’ are brilliant short stories. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:58pm
Robert Heinlein, John Varley, William Sidney Porter, Nikolai Gogol (who is best appreciated when read in the original English {that's a standing joke with my wife}), Geoffrey Chaucer, Patrick McManus.

None of these are particularly contemporary; I read mostly non-fiction (other than news) now days.
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>