NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite short story writers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:40pm
The Lady with the Dog by Chekhov is my favorite. 

SS1:The Jewelry Box of Hildegard von Dideritz
SS2:The Silverfish
MegtheCrane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegtheCrane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:01pm
Neil Gaiman's short stories are so interesting to me! He really packs so much into a short space. Do you have a particular favorite of his? 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:42pm
I'm not an avid reader as an adult, because my focus on reading disappeared years ago. However, in school (middle school, I believe), I read a short story that has haunted me ever since then. It was called All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury. After reading it, the teacher also showed us a film version. I haven't read or seen them since, just that one time, and it's been... [doing mental math] around thirty years, but I'm still haunted by its poignancy, and I can more-or-less recite the plot from memory. Cry
< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:45am
Some great suggestions here that I will check out and some that I agree with. Who else... well I do like Ambrose Bierce, the story "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge" really made an impression on me as a kid. 
Also of course "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Love that one.
Recently I enjoyed Ted Chiang's short stories (and of course the film Arrival is based on one, great film too)
Edgar Allan Poe has some great ones. And I enjoyed Stephen King's. Roald Dahl had some good creepy ones for adults too.
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:51am
I just thought of a story I read when I was a kid that made an impression on me ... but I didn't know the name of it or the author. Well, I found it through good old google! Examination Day by Henry Slesar ... here it is! 

Edited by AineKnees - 04 Aug 2019 at 10:53am
mikelly63 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikelly63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:17am
I would just like to point out the elephant in the room, what everyone knows to be true but is afraid to say: not only is Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery not the greatest short story of all time, it actually sucks. Yes we all read it in high school and thought it was great- that’s because it reads like a high schooler wrote it.And you can see the stupid twist coming a mile away. I for one was relieved when the annoying kid got pelted with stones because it ended the excruciating experience of being forced to read the stupid thing.

Edited by mikelly63 - 04 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 3:34pm
I've never been a big short story reader or writer, in fact that's why I started participating in this competition, so I could improve my short story writing skills. But I like longer stuff. So I haven't read too many short stories, although right now I'm trying to read all the Pulitzer prize novels, and one of 'em is The Short Stories of John Cheever. Boy, did he write a lot of short stories :P. It's like an 850-page tome. And I do like reading them, so I'll have to say John Cheever is currently my fav, but mostly because I haven't read much of anyone else's.
JustLurking100 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustLurking100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I'm not an avid reader as an adult, because my focus on reading disappeared years ago. However, in school (middle school, I believe), I read a short story that has haunted me ever since then. It was called All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury. After reading it, the teacher also showed us a film version. I haven't read or seen them since, just that one time, and it's been... [doing mental math] around thirty years, but I'm still haunted by its poignancy, and I can more-or-less recite the plot from memory. Cry

It haunted me too when I read it as a kid.  One of his best imo.
JustLurking100 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustLurking100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Constance Squires’ collection “Hit Your Brights” contains some dark, gritty, but beautifully real stories that linger on a bit.  It wasn’t a fast read - many times I had to set the book aside and savor what I had just read, or go back and reread passages, both with admiration and envy.
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:57pm
So many great writers in all of your posts. I'm going to add a couple instead of repeating. 

Carmen Maria Machado
Roald Dahl
Ellen Glichrist
Joy Williams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>