NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

Somehow it never crossed my mind to try the screenplay template provided by Scrivener, which I own and use for long projects - I love how it lets me organize all my material in one place. Does anyone have any experience with using Scrivener to write screenplays? I’ll try it out.

Moving forward, if the Scrivener option doesn’t pan out, I think I’ll consider a paid subscription to WD.

Never thought of that.  I have FD whater-the-latest-version is, which was using way too much CPU on my machine and gets used twice a year.  I also have Scrivener, which I use for long projects, though my 'notes' still go in Word because I use the headings to sort things.  I should probably get better at sorting things in Scrivener and bite the bullet.  Particularly given my opinion of Microsoft.

Won't be too many more years and they'll make you use their recurring revenue products for office, like Adobe.
This sig intentionally blank
alexdsut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexdsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:47am
To throw my thoughts into the mix, I'm one more vote for Fade In. Out of all the software I've used in the past, I'd say Fade In is the best value for money. It has a lot of functionality, is very easy to use, and is reasonably priced. Win-win-win!

Go team Fade In! 
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:10am
Originally posted by alexdsut alexdsut wrote:

To throw my thoughts into the mix, I'm one more vote for Fade In. Out of all the software I've used in the past, I'd say Fade In is the best value for money. It has a lot of functionality, is very easy to use, and is reasonably priced. Win-win-win!

Go team Fade In! 

I just tried the Demo Version of Fade In and it was great! Until I tried to export to PDF and it left a giant watermark on each page. A forumite helped me get rid of the watermarks and then all of a sudden I had half a page to play with! So I was able to add some extra details. :)

I will definitely need to buy the full version before Challenge 2! :)
#amrevising
alexdsut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexdsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

Originally posted by alexdsut alexdsut wrote:

Go team Fade In! 

I just tried the Demo Version of Fade In and it was great! Until I tried to export to PDF and it left a giant watermark on each page. A forumite helped me get rid of the watermarks and then all of a sudden I had half a page to play with! So I was able to add some extra details. :)

I will definitely need to buy the full version before Challenge 2! :)

Oh yeah, the watermark on the free version of Fade In is hideous. I saw it the other day when my friend sent me a PDF script written on it -- urgh! Other than that, glad to hear you enjoyed it! 
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:34am
Final Draft for meeeee. 

It's so freakin' easy.
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:53am
I think for anyone just dipping their toe into the water of screenwriting, the free version of WriterDuet has everything you need and is extremely intuitive to use. If you're in it for the long haul, sounds like Final Draft might be well worth the investment. I'd say I'm somewhere in between at the moment!
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
ROS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ROS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:15am
I use Writer Duet and I'm more than happy with it. Upgraded to a paid package since the free version only allows three free scripts and I knew I would be using it fairly regularly.
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:25am
I have Final Draft through work, but if I were to try something myself I'd go for Fade In. 

Final Draft is the traditional version and set the industry standard. But it's got SO many features that it's clunky and bugs out for me. It's been updated so many times, layer upon layer, it just doesn't make as much sense for current tech. Whereas Fade In is literally made for now and simplifies screenwriting (and it's actually affordable...).

Still, aside from the odd crash, Final Draft does the job. Can trust the formatting completely.

For a free trial version, I'd recommend Celtx (just make sure it IS the trial version). Did my dissertation on it back in 2016 with no trouble, and the watermark is unobtrusive if I remember correctly. If it's turned to crap since then ignore this haha

Edited by beckyrcollins - 15 Oct 2019 at 10:36am
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by bcatarino bcatarino wrote:

Highland is developed by screenwriter John August, and costs around $20 I think. I never really used it, but I think it doesn't have as many features as FadeIn, but it's also very lightweight. It's based on fountain, which is just a plain text "language" for writing screenplays, that most softwares these days understand (not sure about Final Draft, though, but the ones I mentioned, WritersDuet, and anything recent does).

This is another one I'm super curious about! I listen to his podcast and really rate his opinions on screenwriting and the process of, so if he's created a lightweight software that does everything you need, I'm in tbh. Trust him as a screenwriter completely haha
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:47am
I'm very happy with the Movie Magic Screenwriter software. I'm NOT techie and it's pretty foolproof.

Edited by lisafox10800 - 15 Oct 2019 at 10:48am
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>