NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, I need a new screenwriting tool/software rec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:44pm
I'm facing a similar problem when I update my operating system on my Mac -- my Final Draft 9 will cease to function, forcing me to do one of two things: don't upgrade my OS, or shell out a hefty sum to get the latest version.

One of the writers here introduced me to WriterDuet, the free version, and it basically does all that I need it to do, and it's pretty flexible in saving to other file formats, like Final Draft, Celtx and PDF. So, as soon as I update my OS, I'll be switching over to WriterDuet full time and saying goodbye to a very old friend.
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:57pm
I rescind my recommendation of Celtx. My new opinion is that it is buggy garbage and I will now be following this thread to make a switch before short screenplay LOL
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

I rescind my recommendation of Celtx. My new opinion is that it is buggy garbage and I will now be following this thread to make a switch before short screenplay LOL

I'm in the Final Draft camp.  Expensive, but so is time.  Especially during contests. 

By the time the contest ends I remember how to use it again.  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:18pm

Tracy – I’m using that little download button. My numbers just won’t show up. Blargh. I can fix it manually this time, but I’ll have to figure out why it isn’t working for me. Figuring out the title page was another ball of fun. Ha. Hope things are running smoothly for you!

Stephen – You’ve sold me on not looking at Trelby anymore. Thank you! I haven’t investigated FadeIn, but I’m going to look at MovieMaker after this contest. Yes, the final round of competition is a super fun time to try and learn something completely new. It hasn’t caused me any anxiety at all, no way. LOL Thanks for the good wishes!

andromedae17 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andromedae17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:27am
I got a student discount on Final Draft, which has served me through 2 screenwriting short courses and another competition and IMO has therefore already justified its cost. 
bcatarino View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bcatarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:57am
I'm surprised no one suggested FadeIn or Highland 2. 

FadeIn is what I've been using for years. It costs around $50 (a lot less than Final Draft) and it has production tools to lock pages, revisions, etc (if you need those). I think there's also a free version, not sure what it has, since I ended up buying a copy a few years ago.

Highland is developed by screenwriter John August, and costs around $20 I think. I never really used it, but I think it doesn't have as many features as FadeIn, but it's also very lightweight. It's based on fountain, which is just a plain text "language" for writing screenplays, that most softwares these days understand (not sure about Final Draft, though, but the ones I mentioned, WritersDuet, and anything recent does).
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/highland-2/id1171820258?mt=12

Since I mentioned fountain, I'll say you can also write your screenplay simply on Word, Notepad, or any plain text editor without having to worry about formatting it. Just write it using the "fountain" rules: https://fountain.io/faq, then when you're done, import the .fountain file to whichever screenwriting software you use, and it will be properly formatted in 2 seconds. It's also the most lightweight option to write screenplays on a phone or tablet, since the screenwriting softwares for mobile are generally crap or slow (or both).

I currently write all my first drafts in fountain (because it's fast, and frees me from any concern that's not words on the page), then import to FadeIn when I'm done and it's time to revise.

Hope it helps.
R1 G12 Comedy - Deep Undesires
R1 Ch2 G12 Horror - Prey
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:14am
dropping in to represent final draft gang. well worth the price for no problems or strings attached.
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I've always just used Storywriter (which is gone now). I know, I know... it's kindergarten level, but I loved that it was dead simple and intuitive. I don't like to think about anything but writing or futz with bloated software. So, I'd appreciate any and all recommendations for the best replacement given my past preference and lazy tendencies. 

I'm currently looking at Trelby as a download, and StudioBinder as a cloud-based solution. I lean toward online-based tools. Please help! This will be my first comp without my beloved, dumbed-down, goofy Storywriter. Thank you in advance.

I used WriterDuet for the first time when I helped John Adams during the last competition. I actually liked it a lot (I'm a diehard Final Draft user facing having to pay an upgrade fee if I update my Mac operating system to the latest). WD gave me a script that looked just like it would have if I used Final Draft, so if I decide to not re-up on the new FD version, then I'm migrating over to WriterDuet.

They do have a fee-based version, but I looked at the list of features I'd be gaining if I paid a subscription, and there was nothing that I couldn't live without. The free version does all that I need it to do.
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 3:46am
FWIW, a good word on Writer Duet from someone that had never written a screenplay before and just took part to the Short Screenplay challenge this past weekend. Signed up on Thursday, read the NYC Midnight primer on screenplay format the same night, and a link there took me to the WD website. It turned out a lifesaver: I was on the go for most of the weekend and I literally typed (er, tapped) most of my screenplay between an iPad and an iPhone. I would not have met the deadline any other way. Syncing across devices was (almost) seamless, and export to pdf quite reliable. Export to word would change the format and get me beyond the 5-page limit, though. Speaking of which, other than for the word export, all versions of the software (web, iPad, iPhone) did a good job at maintaining the text on the same pages, which was helpful when working against a tight page limit.

Somehow it never crossed my mind to try the screenplay template provided by Scrivener, which I own and use for long projects - I love how it lets me organize all my material in one place. Does anyone have any experience with using Scrivener to write screenplays? I’ll try it out.

Moving forward, if the Scrivener option doesn’t pan out, I think I’ll consider a paid subscription to WD.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:57am
Another vote for Writer Duet. I’m still relatively new at this and it’s super easy and intuitive. And I’ve never lost anything on it, even with auto save. Good luck!

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>