NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Counts as Political Satire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Schrifty Schrifty wrote:

So, no idea if this helps, but this is the post I wrote a couple years back on the subject.  There's usually a ping in views this time of year so I doubt you're the only one who has trouble with it:

To sum up, you basically want to use a humorous situation to make a broader point about a political topic.  There's lots of ways to do it, and I don't know that it matters what stance you take on what topic as long as it functions as commentary.

^^schrifty’s blog posts are gold. She also has a great one, that saved my butt in screenplay, on the difference between suspense and thriller 
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
LadyReeseKightkens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyReeseKightkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Each genre has its challenges. The one thing I remind myself (And the thing my husband tells me when I’m tearing my hair out) is that this is supposed to be fun!

What did you get in challenge 1?
Group 119: Thriller / log cabin / satellite dish

It seemed too simple, so I tried to take a risk and make it stand out with a twist. However, my twist might get me points deducted from not following the genre close enough Confused
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:26pm

So, no idea if this helps, but this is the post I wrote a couple years back on the subject.  There's usually a ping in views this time of year so I doubt you're the only one who has trouble with it:

To sum up, you basically want to use a humorous situation to make a broader point about a political topic.  There's lots of ways to do it, and I don't know that it matters what stance you take on what topic as long as it functions as commentary.

^^schrifty’s blog posts are gold. She also has a great one, that saved my butt in screenplay, on the difference between suspense and thriller 

Added to my list of writing resources.  Thanks!
This sig intentionally blank
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by LadyReeseKightkens LadyReeseKightkens wrote:

Each genre has its challenges. The one thing I remind myself (And the thing my husband tells me when I’m tearing my hair out) is that this is supposed to be fun!

It seemed too simple, so I tried to take a risk and make it stand out with a twist. However, my twist might get me points deducted from not following the genre close enough Confused

The trick with thriller is to keep it moving fast. Judges are generally ok with mashups (I’ve done actionadventure/hist fiction mashups, suspense/sci fi, etc). As long as the primary tone hits the mark you should be fine. I will look for you when we get the all clear to post!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyReeseKightkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:35pm

The trick with thriller is to keep it moving fast. Judges are generally ok with mashups (I’ve done actionadventure/hist fiction mashups, suspense/sci fi, etc). As long as the primary tone hits the mark you should be fine. I will look for you when we get the all clear to post!
Here's to hoping

I'm blushing at the thought of other people reading it.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:39pm

Here's to hoping

I'm blushing at the thought of other people reading it.

Always toughest the first go around. I hadn’t written creatively in 20 years when I did my first nycm in 2016. Was nervous as hell to post. But so glad I did. It literally changed my life. (Spoken like a true infomercial...) :)
lisafoxiswriting.com
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyReeseKightkens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:44pm
Lol, it is tough. This is obviously my first year and I've never entered any contest like this. I play on a gaming site that does writing contests, but this is a whole different level. Then again, how do you grow as a writer if you don't try new things, right?
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm

Lol, it is tough. This is obviously my first year and I've never entered any contest like this. I play on a gaming site that does writing contests, but this is a whole different level. Then again, how do you grow as a writer if you don't try new things, right?

This is one of the best writers workshops you’ll find! 
lisafoxiswriting.com
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:02pm

OMG, this was *so* helpful when I landed PolSat as my first ever NYCM genre for SSC last year. Thank you for writing this; it really helped!
Littledaylight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littledaylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 12:21am

Thanks, I'll take a look at this! :) And thanks to everyone for your helpful comments!
Littledaylight
Round 1 Microfiction
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic23907_post302843.html#302843
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>