NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introductions? (Or, I Need Friends :P)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mother of Chaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:52pm
Also from Iowa - Dubuque! And unlike that other guy here, I think most people around here are ‘Iowa Nice’, just sayin.

Originally posted by Angela Crosby Angela Crosby wrote:

Originally posted by mhelgens mhelgens wrote:

Hi all! I’m Morgan! I’m a high school English teacher from small town Iowa. I have a four-year-old who thinks he’s a superhero, and I think I’m a writer. We dream big around here :) 

My love for writing was ignited when at 9-years-old, a story I wrote was accepted for publication in an anthology of children’s writers. The story was called Sir Hops A Lot and featured a hiccuping frog and several clever underwater puns. I thought I was funny AND famous and then I received the anthology. To my dismay, it was clear that every submission had been accepted as several of the stories were composed of a few grammatically incorrect sentences that made no logical sense. 

My next “published” piece was one I wrote for my first NYC Midnight contest. It was called “Heavily Meditated,” scored 15 points in the contest, and was created of the following prompts: Horror/A yoga studio/ a box of raisins. I was thrilled to have received that first “real” acceptance letter and then a fellow forum frequenter here crushed my dreams, telling me the publication didn’t count because it wasn’t paid. 

My next writing tragedy was when a travel magazine accepted a piece I wrote about my honeymoon only to write me six months later and say “Jk your story was accepted by someone who no longer works for us and we’re still cleaning up her mess. We have too many Iceland stories already.” (Not a direct quote, but ouch).

But hey! Just a few weeks ago The Antigonish Review bought my story “The Puppeteer’s Daughter” and pending any jk emails, it’ll be published this fall! :) 

Moral of my story: don’t let the bastards get you down. I still firmly believe that Sir Hops A Lot was gold, and someday I’ll be a published writer for “real.” 

If you’re still reading my writers autobiography, thanks! I should have mentioned I’m extremely long-winded, which is problematic for flash. Anyway, I’d love to be friends.... but I don’t like wine. And after reading the previous posts in this forum, I feel like an outcast about it. LOL

Hello Fellow Iowegen! I counted 9 of us in total so it's nice to run into you! Good luck! From the sounds of it, it's about your time! Heart

Edited by Mother of Chaos - 19 Jul 2019 at 4:56pm
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Angela Crosby Angela Crosby wrote:

Hello Fellow Iowegen! I counted 9 of us in total so it's nice to run into you! Good luck! From the sounds of it, it's about your time! Heart

That is the sweetest. Unfortunately, I don't think this story is my shining star. I had a really busy weekend and an uninspiring prompt. LOL I hope you do well in the competition. Love that you're here repping our home state :)
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Mother of Chaos Mother of Chaos wrote:

Also from Iowa - Dubuque! And unlike that other guy here, I think most people around here are ‘Iowa Nice’, just sayin.

Hey-- Dubuque is (kinda sorta) my neck of the woods. I'm from Monticello originally :) --and totally agree. It's a happy place in my opinion.
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
SEHBicycle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SEHBicycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by kyliepopa kyliepopa wrote:

I wanted to do it because I've only recently started writing seriously. (I'd written a few little stories in middle school with my best friend, but they were mostly just projections of our fantasies, like having superpowers to fight the popular kids HAH) This is the first time I've done anything to involve myself in the writing community, and it's pretty exciting so far!
Besides writing, I'm a visual artist. (I draw and paint mostly) I've just been accepted into my dream art school (Art Center College of Design) and I'm starting this coming spring (STOKED).

Congratulations on that acceptance to the school. That's huge!

Wishing you much fun and success there, and also in this contest and in meeting other writers and building a network of friends.
NKurt View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:25pm
A little late to the part (nineteen pages to be precise) but better late than never. 

I'm a primary school teacher from Queensland, Australia and a dad of three kids (3, 4 and 6). Like many of you, I loved writing as a kid. As a teenager, I ran a short story/webcomic blog that is now appropriately cringe-worthy.

Last year, to foster a love of reading for my Grade 5/6 students, I started writing a short story that included the whole class as characters. This ballooned out into a 30,000-word novella that the school ended up putting through a vanity press so that I could give a copy to each member of the class as an end-of-year gift. 

From there, I'd caught the bug. Since then, I've written an 80k novel that I workshopped through the great community at Scribophile.com and participated in multiple short story competitions through the AWC Flash Fiction contest. Just recently, I sold my first short story to an indie writing magazine. 

So far, I'm loving the NYCM forums and have been wowed by the talent and imagination here. I'm quickly getting the sense that I'll be a regular in this competition for years to come! :) 
FFCH2: The Very Berry Psychopath (14 points)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:10am
Originally posted by NKurt NKurt wrote:

A little late to the part (nineteen pages to be precise) but better late than never. 

I'm a primary school teacher from Queensland, Australia and a dad of three kids (3, 4 and 6). Like many of you, I loved writing as a kid. As a teenager, I ran a short story/webcomic blog that is now appropriately cringe-worthy.

Last year, to foster a love of reading for my Grade 5/6 students, I started writing a short story that included the whole class as characters. This ballooned out into a 30,000-word novella that the school ended up putting through a vanity press so that I could give a copy to each member of the class as an end-of-year gift. 

From there, I'd caught the bug. Since then, I've written an 80k novel that I workshopped through the great community at Scribophile.com and participated in multiple short story competitions through the AWC Flash Fiction contest. Just recently, I sold my first short story to an indie writing magazine. 

So far, I'm loving the NYCM forums and have been wowed by the talent and imagination here. I'm quickly getting the sense that I'll be a regular in this competition for years to come! :) 

Welcome, heatmate! :) Be careful, this place is addictive.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 1:10am
This is fun to read through everyone's introductions.  Thanks for posting it.

My career is in mental health, and I feel so lucky that my day job is something that I love and that I'm good at.  Normally when I write anything, it is within the field of holistic psychotherapy and self help.

I decided to do this FF last minute for two reasons.  The first is that I did it once before and I had a lot of fun doing it.  It was fun to write, but I found it even more fun to read what people came up with from their prompts.  It is safe to say that I am fascinated by the creative mind and where it goes with only a few prompts.  The second reason, and the more compelling reason for me is that my sister and her daughter just moved out at the beginning of July.  We've all been together for most of my niece's life (she's 6), and so I've been doing a lot of things to help distract me and keep my spirits up while they're off in another city creating their new normal too.  

I didn't plan to have a 5 year old protagonist in my story, and it's only now that I'm recognizing that it likely happened because my niece is on my mind.

I live in rural Canada, and I live a fairly stereotypical Canadian life.  I can go hiking out my door, we regularly get snow up to the roof in the winter, and we even have a local company that'll take you dog sledding should you be so inclined. Plus I do love plaid.  And denim.  And denim on denim.

What lights my internal flame is feeling loved and giving love.  I suppose that's my secret third reason for doing this again.  Reading through the forums, it's like being in an online love fest. Just the kind of thing that helps a gal out when she's going through a life transition.
cat_astrophe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat_astrophe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:02pm
Hiya!

This is my first time ever entering and I'm so looking forward to meeting some people (from the comfort of my own laptop, hello fellow introverts)! 

I'm a twenty-something Chicago native still confused about how in the world I ended up in New York, but I work for a small publishing/interactive media company by day and also moonlight as a children's bookseller. I've been writing as a hobby for as long as I can remember and have recently decided that I want to make more of a commitment to it because it just brings me so much joy, so I felt like this was a good way to jumpstart said commitment/hold myself accountable. 

I don't have many writerly friends in my real life and would absolutely love to make some here and continue reading and sharing feedback with anyone interested!! This seems like a wonderful community and I'm so excited to get involved Big smile
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by cat_astrophe cat_astrophe wrote:

Hiya!

This is my first time ever entering and I'm so looking forward to meeting some people (from the comfort of my own laptop, hello fellow introverts)! 

I'm a twenty-something Chicago native still confused about how in the world I ended up in New York, but I work for a small publishing/interactive media company by day and also moonlight as a children's bookseller. I've been writing as a hobby for as long as I can remember and have recently decided that I want to make more of a commitment to it because it just brings me so much joy, so I felt like this was a good way to jumpstart said commitment/hold myself accountable. 

I don't have many writerly friends in my real life and would absolutely love to make some here and continue reading and sharing feedback with anyone interested!! This seems like a wonderful community and I'm so excited to get involved Big smile

A fellow New Yorker transplant!! Howdy! I am originally from Maine and now live in Brooklyn. :)
#amrevising
cat_astrophe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat_astrophe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

A fellow New Yorker transplant!! Howdy! I am originally from Maine and now live in Brooklyn. :)

Oh hey!! I'm actually in Brooklyn too! Hope you're surviving in this heat Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>