FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting & Master Lists & Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by Lexiconundrum Lexiconundrum wrote:

I'm not sure if we can resubmit as many times as we like, this year. That was true in previous years,  but if you read the terms and conditions for this year, it looks like they are only accepting the first submission this time.

and one win for 'read the contest agreement" lol :)  they have been updating and changing things the last few years - always good to make sure the rules are what we think they are.  Thanks Lexi!!

A good reminder that it should be read even by those who've read it many times previously! I'll go reread, and post on the questions forum to get clarification if it still seems unclear to me...
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Lexiconundrum Lexiconundrum wrote:

I'm not sure if we can resubmit as many times as we like, this year. That was true in previous years,  but if you read the terms and conditions for this year, it looks like they are only accepting the first submission this time.

and one win for 'read the contest agreement" lol :)  they have been updating and changing things the last few years - always good to make sure the rules are what we think they are.  Thanks Lexi!!
Lexiconundrum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexiconundrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:35pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:33pm
HeartHeart to you two for taking on the List. I am so looking forward to having time to *read again this year <hug>

To the Newbies:
1. Forget the contest. The BEST value of this joint is that it is the most helpful writers workshop you will ever get for fifty bucks. The judges are unpredictable and sometimes incomprehensible but the *writers are an awesome resource and network.

2. RTFM. Formatting, genre. One of the skills a writer needs to succeed is the ability to read the submission guidelines. Editors hate it when you ignore them. Practice here by reading the contest agreement, reading the genre definitions, and following the rules. (p.s. that includes posting conversations in *this forum and stories in the *contest forum :) )

3. Post your story. Even if you hate it. Even if you feel 'inferior." Feedback from people who understand what it takes to write to those prompts in this situation will make you better, as a writer, and less 'inferior' in your own mind.

4. Take the criticism as a gift. If someone totally hated your story - meh. But if they tell you *why they hated it, they are telling you the places to look to broaden your audience. 

5. It's OK to ask questions.  These forums are a friendly space.  Everyone was new here once. Ask a relevant question, no matter how silly it feels, and you'll get a useful answer..

6. It's OK to ask questions.  The general rule for writers is 'never respond to the reviews.' The comments here are not reviews. It's OK to 'engage' with writers who take the time to offer you feedback.  ("Engage" = "digging a little to better understand their meaning," "explaining what you were trying for and asking them how you missed that mark for them, or how it seemed different to them" Constructive convos. Arguing with a review/crit for the purpose of insisting you are right is obnoxious.  Bouncing the ball back and forth til you understand *why something didn't land the way you intended is 'learning.' We do that here.)

7. beta readers. If you aren't familiar with the idea - you are missing out on one of the best tools a writer can have. There's a spreadsheet. volunteer and find volunteers. what you turn in will be better. guaranteed.

8. Crit. Offer your opinion. You may feel uncertain about whether you 'know how' or 'have something to offer.' That's OK.  Read stories, then read the crits for them - you may find that someone else was able to articulate something you 'felt but didn't know how to say.' Well - now you know how to say it. (it's ok to 'echo' on the comments. "Bob337 explained my reaction to the carousel perfectly." it's ok that you're not offering something 'unique' - you're still telling the writer that 'more than one person felt this way'. As we try to sift through conflicting feedback, that helps us understand who the 'majority' is.)  The more you read, the more you try, the better you will get at it.  Til then, it's OK to say "I really liked this story" - but if you don't feel you can crit, then please try to keep going. "I liked this story BECAUSE...." talk about the character, the plot, or the description that made you like it. It's more useful to the writer than "I liked the story." It's more useful to you - because it will force you to think about *why you liked it - and learning to articulate that = learning to parse it out in your brain.  The better you can crit others, the better you can crit yourself, and use the crits you get.

9. Ignore every post about "what genre do you want/fear" and don't let it get you worked up. There are only two genres here: ones you know and are comfortable with (which are not a problem) and ones you don't know and will have a chance to dabble in (which are an opportunity to learn, to expand your skills as a writer, and to experiment with your writing). There is no such thing as a 'bad' genre. (Best story I ever wrote here is a genre I have never written in before or since - and I probably should). 

This is not a contest that you enter to "win" - all that contest nonsense is just a side gig.  You "win" by coming here, engaging with other writers, and using that engagement to make yourself and them better at the craft. Put your energy into that, and you can't lose.

Edited by nixie - 12 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by ChillyToez ChillyToez wrote:

Heeeellllooooo Writers!

While Short Story-ers are anxiously awaiting results, and Flash Fiction-iers begin praying to the Prompt Gods, I just wanted to say a quick hello!

The lovely Steph9289 and I will be sharing Master List duties for Flash Fiction 2019. (Oh, what have I gotten myself into? Please be kind! LOL )

I saw quite a few people mentioning on other posts this was their first time participating (I expect in a competition of this size, there are always new folks!) So I thought that to pass the time, some of the regulars might like to share their tips or favorite things about the competition? Which genres do you love/hate? What's your process? What are your biggest Dos & Don'ts? Ya know, to hype folks up and/or calm the nerves?  

Thank you so much for taking on master list duty! 

These things may have been said, but if so, I'll say them again.

Good beta readers are absolute GOLD. It is possible to do well with a piece that no one but you looks at, but it's much, much less likely in my experience.

The forum reviews are where you'll get the most benefit, and it's possible to benefit a ton from the peer reviewing process. Be prepared to sink some time into it to get the most out of it.

ExclamationExclamationExclamation I am told we may not be able to serially resubmit this year - I'm rereading the agreement and maybe getting clarification...
ETA, in case no one else has mentioned it: You can submit and resubmit as many times as you like before the deadline. I am paranoid after a wonky wifi connection at an AirBnB one year, so I start submitting as soon as I have a complete draft that's under word count. Then I resubmit every revision.

Edited by ottersdaughter - 12 Jul 2019 at 11:45pm
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:36pm
Echoing a thanks for taking on the Master Lists.

Three nuances:

1) Reread the emails we get in their entirety at the prompt drop. Fourth year and I always am surprised at a minor change or something I never saw before.

2) There are free word counters and grammar checkers online. Use them!

3) Try to submit at least a half-hour early. The servers get BUSY at the drop-dead hour. And, you've probably forgotten something: font, synopsis, etc.

:-)
GL, all.
"Every time I think I've seen it all, a person comes along and objects to the mistreatment of rubber chickens."
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Maddoris Maddoris wrote:

wack-a-doodle prompts (taxidermy shops and suction cups)

Holy wack-a-mole! I think I’ll just pour another glass and pretend I never saw that train wreck of a prompt possibility...
Maddoris View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by MikeBham MikeBham wrote:

This is my second Flash Fiction (and I had a stab at the Short Story as well).

By far and away the best writing experience I've had - and all thanks to these lovely people on the forum.

So, a few suggestions:

1 - ask questions. The forum is full of friendly and helpful types
2 - read the brief carefully
3 - they really mean it about the word count limit
4 - Once the confirmations have been issued (usually about Tues/Wed next week) then SHARE YOUR STORY

Why? Because we all love reading stories, and because the comments, feedback, suggestions and criticism from your fellow writers are far more valuable than the judges' comments that you will eventually receive.

5 - Once you have shared your story, read lots of the other ones, and leave feedback.

Oh yeah - and always always submit and share your entry. Even if you don't like it. Even if you did the whole thing in a terrible rush at the last minute. Even if you think it is terrible. You wrote a story, and it needs to be read. You never know - everyone else might just love it!

Good luck!

Everything that Mike said - especially about making the most of the forums, and the talented and generous people who participate on them.  The feedback, support, and encouragement you can give and get is what really makes the experience valuable.

Case in point: I was lucky enough to be in the same group as Mike last year (both of us were first timers) so we shared our triumphs over the wack-a-doodle prompts (taxidermy shops and suction cups) and the terrifying prospect of writing comedy.  

Super excited to see that you're back, Mike! Can't wait to read your stories again!

mad.
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:11am
We all have our own ways of interpreting prompts and getting our stories written. So all I’m going to say is write your face off, have fun, and participate in the forum as much as you can. Good luck everyone!
charleycheval View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote charleycheval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:58am
I 100% agree with submitting whatever you have written, even if you hate it. I got stuck in a genre I had never done and had no interest in and wrote it in two hours, submitting minutes before the deadline and ended up with an honourable mention. You just never know! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>