NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any similar format competitions????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obicraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any similar format competitions????
    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:56am
Gday everyone.

Does anyone know of any other competitions with a similar format to NYC Midnight? I'd be keen to have another go and don't fancy waiting a year for this one to reboot. Everything I find is full scripts. I like this one because it is fun and stretches your mind to come up with ideas based on the random genres etc that they assign.

Thanks if anyone knows of any.

Craig.
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 3:49am
Originally posted by obicraig obicraig wrote:

Gday everyone.

Does anyone know of any other competitions with a similar format to NYC Midnight? I'd be keen to have another go and don't fancy waiting a year for this one to reboot. Everything I find is full scripts. I like this one because it is fun and stretches your mind to come up with ideas based on the random genres etc that they assign.

Thanks if anyone knows of any.
Craig.
I think these guys have a pretty unique thing going on here. I've looked at other competitions and haven't seen anything similar, which is why I stick to this one. You don't have to wait a year, though. The Short Screenplay Competition is in the fall, and in some ways it's more difficult. Four short screenplays, all no more than 5-pages each, in 48-hours time (each one)... much more challenging, for sure. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I hope you check it out when it rolls around.
Smile
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 10:22am
I have some writer pals who basically do NYC Midnight drills for fun: randomly assign three or four aspects for the story and set a time and page limit. Obviously the "prize" there is only bragging rights, and the feedback is limited, but if you're just looking to test yourself, you don't need the contest to do it. Wink
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:27am
This just popped up in my FB news feed. I've never heard of it or done it, and can't speak to its legitimacy, but figured I'd share since it popped up. 

Wen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 12:42pm
you could always see about writing for a 48 hour film project team if your city or someplace close to you has a competition. you get your prompts on a Friday evening and the complete film is done by Sunday evening. Most teams in my area usually  limit the time allotted for writing to just a few hours on friday
musikriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musikriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 11:38pm
SmileThanks as I am in a similar position and do not want to wait for next year
 Post Reply Post Reply