NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genres?
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:48am
The open genre was a nice change this round, and I’m wondering what people went with and why? I chose fantasy because that’s what I usually write and I’ve been itching for a chance to do it in this competition. But I haven’t seen any other fantasy titles/synopsis postings yet. So what did y’all end up doing?
Short Story Contest 2022 5th place
IG: @ncurtiswrites
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:53am
il think I'd have to categorize mine as just general or literary, although there are some supernatural elements to it.
Nicole622 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by roccapia roccapia wrote:

il think I'd have to categorize mine as just general or literary, although there are some supernatural elements to it.

Isn’t it interesting that, when there is no genre requirement, you just don’t think about genre? Writing with a specific genre requirement in mind was a totally new experience for me in this comp. I mean I did write fantasy this round but that’s more of a default for me than a conscious choice haha 
Short Story Contest 2022 5th place
IG: @ncurtiswrites
Taj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:01am
I had decided before the prompt that I would write sci-fi, drama or romance. That’s where I’ve spent my life reading, so it’s also a comfort zone for writing. When I got the prompts I ended up writing kind of a post apocalyptic love story.

Edited by Taj - 19 May 2019 at 10:01am
https://denoreasa.wordpress.com/
SEHBicycle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEHBicycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Taj Taj wrote:

I had decided before the prompt that I would write sci-fi, drama or romance. That’s where I’ve spent my life reading, so it’s also a comfort zone for writing. When I got the prompts I ended up writing kind of a post apocalyptic love story.
Sounds fantastic!
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:08am
I like to think of my story as a sci-fi fairy tale. I think the fact that I got sci-fi for my genre during the first round really set the tone for the rest of the competition for me, and no matter which genre I got, I kept adding sci-fi elements here and there. 

It's funny; I came into the competition thinking that I was NOT capable of writing sci-fi. It just wasn't my comfort zone, and I swore up and down that this round I would do historical fiction or something with a dash of magical realism...but here I am, with a sci-fi fairy tale.
Briana Una View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briana Una Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Nicole622 Nicole622 wrote:

The open genre was a nice change this round, and I’m wondering what people went with and why? I chose fantasy because that’s what I usually write and I’ve been itching for a chance to do it in this competition. But I haven’t seen any other fantasy titles/synopsis postings yet. So what did y’all end up doing?

I wrote a gothic, even though it’s not one of our genre options, because it’s the genre I’m studying for my MFA. I spent this past semester reading and analyzing like 15 of them, and the prompts certainly lent themselves to one, so I thought it would be a nice capstone!
OKCryptid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OKCryptid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:56pm
I went in wanting to write horror, but it turned out to be a... drama? I think? Weirdest thing. Had this cool spooky idea, and then more personal stuff went into the story than I was ready for and it just completely derailed and changed shape. I'm exhausted. Looking forward to reading others' work, but not my own feedback. Ouch
Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:13am
Mine's probably 'general' with some traces of 'horror' thrown in the mix. 
thaliahalloran View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thaliahalloran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:05am
I did a fairy tale since I was never assigned one and was itching to try. My first two were horror and ghost story, which I was fairly new to, so this was a bit more my speed and I thought it lent itself to an interesting/unusual interpretation of the prompts.
R1: Doña Paz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>