NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESULTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

Not even an HM. That stings a bit, considering I felt this was the best entry I've submitted here. My feedback is absolutely useless, too. Like, shockingly bad. Oh well, next year I guess. Congrats to everyone moving on!!

I find there's a direct correlation: the better the story I write, the worse it scores here. The one I got eliminated on in flash fic last year already sold, the one that got third in R1 this time is already racking up rejections, the one that I got eliminated on in last year's SSC is coming out in a book in June (with a bonus that the edits are all 'doubling down on stuff people didn't like and getting rid of what they did.') 
Holdo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:31pm
So I made it through in second. (Hooray!) Feel like a bit of an ass now, as I gave up a couple of times and made a big fuss about how cruel my prompts were (when in fact that's just the nature of the comp). However, I can honestly say I would not have submitted anything if not for this forum and you good folk. This, for me, is the greatest value of the NYCM forums - not for the specific writing critiques, which can be valuable, but for the general air of encouragement and camaraderie. (Thanks especially to @Random for a well-timed pep talk - bit of tough love that helped me get up off the mat and finish the damn thing with moments to spare.)

On another note, and to reiterate the thoughts of various others above, what is up with some of these judges? As churlish as it might be to criticize the judging when you've just been promoted, some (not all) of the comments I got evinced a real lack of insight and aptitude. Like, tips on how to "improve" sentences that would have left them clunky and unattractive. And questions about plot that were answered in the story. Kind of saps the joy of advancing when you read your feedback and find it so far off the mark. (Notable exception: judge 1951. Thank you. At least someone got it.)
SSC 2019: R1 R2 R3
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Holdo Holdo wrote:

So I made it through in second. (Hooray!) 
Hey Holdo! Congratulations! I see you're from Australia as well. That makes you, The Duke and me so far (that I know) representing the land of Oz...wonder how many others are in round 3??Thumbs Up
ludakitty View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludakitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:00pm
As a first time participant, I'll make peace with a R2 HM. I would have loved to have moved on, but oh well.

Congrats to everyone going to the final!
MF250 R1: Clever Girls
Funkylamb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funkylamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:06pm
HM for me, a bit of a surprise to see the feedback email in my inbox because I had it in my head that results were coming on Thursday!

Congratulations to everyone moving on, see you next year. :)

17R1:TheCrow17R2:Ironcap18HC R1:EE19R1:
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:14pm
HM over here! I'll take it. Congratulations to everyone moving on!!!
Micro 100 2020: Downstream (5th overall)
Micro 250 2022: What We Lost in the Tide (9th overall)
Holdo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by SLK43 SLK43 wrote:

Hey Holdo! Congratulations! I see you're from Australia as well. That makes you, The Duke and me so far (that I know) representing the land of Oz...wonder how many others are in round 3??Thumbs Up

Hey SLK. Congrats to you too. There are at least a couple of other Aussies in the mix, from what I can discern. Here's one:

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic20963_post272615.html#272615

SSC 2019: R1 R2 R3
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Holdo Holdo wrote:

Originally posted by SLK43 SLK43 wrote:

Hey SLK. Congrats to you too. There are at least a couple of other Aussies in the mix, from what I can discern. Here's one:

Go Aussies! I’m cheering for you!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by vlgolden vlgolden wrote:

I received feedback from 4 judges - anyone have any insight on why 4 instead of 3?  Thanks in advance! 

I noticed that too and assumed it was a nice perk of being in Round 2 - but now having read others' feedback, it looks like some heats had 3 judges and some had 4, which is very strange. Don't think I've seen that happen before - in screenplay it's always been 3 judges for every heat except the final, when you get 6. 
All my stories are here!
Nicole622 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:42am
Thanks Manifestlynot! Honestly still in shock. I read the list from bottom up and when I saw you as an HM I thought I didn’t have a chance—I really loved your piece and thought it would be top 3 for sure! I hope you keep doing these comps, I can’t wait to see what else you come up with!
Short Story Contest 2022 5th place
IG: @ncurtiswrites
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>